Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

shipping cost for plane

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

shipping cost for plane

Old 06-29-2004, 09:21 PM
ace1991

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shipping cost for plane

Could anyone give me a rough estimate on how much it would cost to ship a 40 size big stik already put together and the wing comes off. From Ga. to Cal.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:51 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: shipping cost for plane

Depends greatly on how you ship it and how you pack it. I have shipped birds that size on grey hound for $35, but check to make sure you can get it in the right size box. They have limits. I shipped one UPS and they crushed it, not flat, from the end. They took over a foot off the end of the box, and everything in it was crushed inwards from there. I wouldn't use them for that again. They fought paying for it even though I bought extra insurance. Totally BS. USPS works too, but again, check box sizes you can use. It can be as high as $50 to $60 if you pack it too big and heavy, but you have to pack it good and have lots of protection.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:19 PM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

FedEx is expensive also. Around $30 per large box and you are looking at two for a plane. I was trying to ship a lazy bee. Shipping costs more than the plane was worth. Post Office might be better? I agree with FlyBoy that UPS is hard on boxes. Don't know what it is with them but they beat the he$$ outa them.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:42 PM
mikejdad
My Feedback: (39)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a Cermark Islander from a fellow in CA and he shipped it in a box 2" X 3" X 5" with a frame made of pvc pipe inside the box and then foam around the plane. The shipping cost was $50 to WV. It was shipped via Greyhound and was received in a week. I would state Greyhound is the best and most economical way to ship a model in my opinion.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:17 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

I've shipped two planes this year and learned a lot. Both were planes that had flown so the tails were permanent. One was a Patriot and the other was a .60 size Cloud Dancer. Both recipients were very happy with my packing jobs. There is a LOT of work involved with shipping a plane if it is to be done correctly. I worked at least 4 hours on the boxes for the Patriot and I worked about 10 ours for the shipping crate for the Cloud Dancer. The crate for the Cloud Dancer was the largest size UPS would take.

First off, definitely check into Greyhound - as mentioned in the above posts. I went with UPS and the service was good, but very expensive. I don't have my exact No's but it was around $89 for the Patriot and it was $113 for the Cloud Dancer. That's not counting any packing materials / boxes.

In post No 3, Spokman says to ship the wing and fuse separate. Do not do that! I shipped my Patriot that way and found out that I could have saved about $25 by shipping them together. By all means try to get it into only one box! The shipping costs for the extra box are WAAYYY more than the extra costs for one big box.

Make a crate and buy lots of bubble pack ect. It will work good.

I would say you're looking at $60 - $70 to ship your stick.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:20 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Forgot to mention, I'm in WI and the Patriot went to So. California and the Cloud Dancer went to Virginia.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:53 PM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

I bought a high wing trainer for my father in law to learn on and I ended up getting it back when I was visiting him. I was going to ship it home, but it was pretty high. So after looking it over, I used the razor saw to carefully take the tail off by cutting along the bottom of the hor stab and I split the wing at the joint. That knocked the shipping from over $50 to $16 and the couple of hours to reinstall the tail and reconnect the the wing were well worth the savings.

BTW on the wing, I drilled a 1/4 hole through the original hardwood dihedral brace using a little jig I made up. Inserted a 1/4 steel rod, epoxied it all together and used some carbon fiber strip to reinforce the bottom of the joint aqnd it was good as new.

This method is deifinitely not for every plane, but imho its easier to repair a clean cut made intentionally rather than have to repair crush damage.

Duke
Old 07-02-2004, 06:31 AM
ace1991

Thanks for everyones advice. It sounds like selling planes over the internet is more trouble then it's worth. The only problem is here where I live in Ga. theres not enough flyers around our club only has about 8 members. Thanks again!
Old 07-03-2004, 01:06 PM
pauluk2w
My Feedback: (7)

I have had planes sent by ups, Fed ex, usps and greyhound. Greyhound are the worst service i have ever encountered in my life. I had a plane that was getting sent from wisconsin to where i live in iowa. I was told it would take 1 day 5 hours and 50 mins for it to arrive. the next day i called to see if it had arrived but it hadn't. after 3 days still no plane i called them again and was told it would be here the next day. i called them back the next day and still no plane. after 7 days i asked where it was. they did not know. i told them if they let me know where it is i would pick it up myself. They told me that packages are not scanned like ups, usps and fedex. in my opinion i would never have anything shipped by this company again. they are a passenger service and that is all they are good at. what you have to remember with greyhound is passangers come first. i think over 7 days for somethingf to come from wisconsin to iowa is slow and i could have got it quicker by either pony express or carrier pigeon.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:15 PM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

You could try advertising on RCU and sell it as a pickup item only. Maybe there are some people who might drive a couple hours to pick up a new plane!
Old 07-07-2004, 05:55 AM
ace1991

I had it on R/C U. for sale but it didn't sale. Guess I don't have to worry about shipping it but, thanks for the advise.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:21 AM
DLDude
My Feedback: (1)

I tried to send my Rx into Hitec through Fedex, and they wanted $27 for 3 day. The thing weighed less than a pound! I say, get a box, pack it yourself, and send it First Class. I did that, and it went from Ohio to California in just 4 days.