Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Sullivan Carbon Fiber Reinforced Push Rods

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Sullivan Carbon Fiber Reinforced Push Rods

Old 07-04-2004, 02:44 PM
2bflyn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sullivan Carbon Fiber Reinforced Push Rods

Has anyone used the Sullivan Carbon Fiber Reinforced Push Rods (cat # 580 and 581)? I need to move from the temperature sensitivity issues of Nyrod in already built airplanes. One 40 size, one 60 size and one 1/5 scale Cessna 182.

If I could successfully use this Sullivan carbon fiber push rod with its outter tube it would be much easier than using the rigid carbon fiber rods.

Appreciate your help.

Bernie
Old 07-04-2004, 06:36 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Sullivan Carbon Fiber Reinforced Push Rods

Bernie:

I haven't used the Sullivan CF rods, I have used the Dave Brown arrow shaft rods several times, and rigid carbon fiber rods as well from Central Hobbies.

If the Sullivan CF rods are flexible, as your post implies, and they will fit through the outer casings of the Nyrods you shouldn't have any trouble.

But. I haven't had any variations from temperature in my planes with composite fuselages using Nyrod. At the same time I've had the variations in wooden planes. Makes me think it's more a matter of the humidity causing the wood to swell and shrink than it is temperature effects on the Nyrods.

Bill.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:46 PM
2bflyn

I installed one Sullivan CF filled push rod in the blue tube that was carrying the normal yellow plastic Nyrod push rod. I marked the rudder position on the tail cone, left the radio turned off and set the airplane in the sun today for four hours. After four hours the rudder had not detectable movement. Normally with todays temperature and humidity, using the yellow Nyrod the rudder would have deflected about four to five degrees after twenty minutes at 80 degrees F. I have repeated this "in the sun" test four or five times with the same results when using the yellow Nyrod - rudder deflection.

I'm satisfied the CF filled Sullivian rod is temperature independant but would still like to know if other people have had good or bad experience with this push rod. Especially RF interference.

Thanks for the help.

Bernie
Old 07-04-2004, 10:01 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

I no longer use the yellow rods since the Carbon ones came out. I use them exclusively when I need a semi flexible rod. I have used them for several years with not one complaint or problem.