Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

getting hinges right

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

getting hinges right

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 03:30 PM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default getting hinges right

I have built several arfs but only 4 kits, and the bigeest problem I have is with the hinges. What are the easiest hinges to apply (so far I have only used the SIG easy hinges) and are the hinge cutting machines I see at the hobby shop any good. I just finished a Sig 4 Star and I am not happy with the hinges. They don't seem to be in the middle of the wing, tail & aeleron edges. Does this affect the flight characteristics or does it not really matter? I am only off center a small amount but it becomes noticeable when you look down the wing.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:26 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: getting hinges right

I used to HATE installing hinges..The Slot Machine from Great Planes is worth every penny!!! Makes perfect cuts nice and clean every time...
Old 07-05-2004, 09:00 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Getting your hinges centered on both surfaces matters somewhat, but being off is no great disaster as long as the surface moves without binding or snapping. The more I hinge, the more careful I try to be about putting everything neatly on the center line, getting the hinge pins (on pinned hinges) all on the same axis. I like the GP/Dubro/Klett pin type hinges, but on some installations I like the Robart hinge points better, and on most ARFs I substitute Radio South CA hinges for whatever is in the kit. I tried the GP hinge slotter, wasn't thrilled with it, sold it after using it once. I seem to do well with the Dubro hinge cutting tool, the fork job with the picking tool, used for pin type hinges. I start the hinging process with a ball point pen line straight down the middle of each of the facing edges. I bevel down to that line, then cut carefully, trying to stay perfectly on that line. It's never perfect, but it helps to come close.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:03 PM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

Redrum, this is the tool I saw at my local H.S. Does it cut different thicknesses of slots for different kinds of hinges? Is it easy to use and is there alot of time setting it up?
Old 07-06-2004, 11:11 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: gnirwin

I have built several arfs but only 4 kits, and the bigeest problem I have is with the hinges. What are the easiest hinges to apply (so far I have only used the SIG easy hinges) and are the hinge cutting machines I see at the hobby shop any good. I just finished a Sig 4 Star and I am not happy with the hinges. They don't seem to be in the middle of the wing, tail & aeleron edges. Does this affect the flight characteristics or does it not really matter? I am only off center a small amount but it becomes noticeable when you look down the wing.
I like using CA hinges. BEFORE rounding any of the edges the hinges will go into, I draw a centerline on the surface and using a #11 blade, cut my hinge slots. After that I drill a small hole in the center of the slot to allow proper wicking of the CA. THEN I round/bevel the surfaces.

As far as the GP Slot Machine goes, if you are going to be cutting slots in basswood or hardwood, fine, go with the machine. If you are cutting the slots in balsa (most hinges), forget it. It takes practice to be able to get the slots right. You will mess up a lot of hinge locations before you get it right. I find a #11 blade (or the DuBro slot tool) is a lot quicker and easier.

Unless you are doing precision flying, the little bit you are off on hinge location will not effect the flying.

As with anything else, people have preferences for hinge points, DuBro/Klett nylon hinges and CA hinges. I find the hinge points excellent for scale models where you want to conceal the hinge and the DuBro/Klett hinges (with pinning) excellent for high speed, high performance planes. For normal sport flying CA hinges are fine.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:24 AM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Yes you can cut different size slots..they give you a set of thin blades for ca hinges and you can buy another set for larger hinges..As far as cutting into balsa..I have never had any problems at all..they sell a blade guide that you hold againist the trailing edge once you set it for the center you just move down and all the hinges are perfectly centered..cant get much easier!!! Just practice on a scrap piece and you will get used to it very quickly..I found that without the blade guide the machine tends to jump a bit before it gets a good bite..The guide holds the blade steady...
Old 07-06-2004, 02:17 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like CA hinges too, and I think the PG Slot Machine is the best thing that has hit this hobby since glue!

But the others are right... The alignment jig is a HUGE help, and you should practice on a few scraps before you tackle your control surfaces.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:52 PM
davidmor

I have used all kinds of hinges over the years, and IMO, the easiest to use and best quality are Robarts hinge points. Using Probond or Gorilla Glue makes puting them in a snap, and cleanup is very easy. The glue foams and expands as it cures and fills all the barbs on the hinge and the voids in wood. They hold great and are very easy to align. Give them a try. There is a video you can download on this site that shows you how to put them in easily with perfect hinge allignment. The only downside to using this type of glue is that you have to keep an eye on them as they cure and clean the glue out as it foams up. I usually just let it dry and pick it off with an x-acto blade.