Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Ceiling Tiles

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 05:30 PM
Snyperx
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceiling Tiles

I recenlty started building a Sig Somethin Extra. I have a nice plywood workbench to work on. I purchased a couple Armstrong Fiber ceiling tiles to use as a base for pins. I started mocking up one of the wings and noticed the ceiling tiles have a slight curl to them towards the tips. Should I stop construction and find a better pin backing or will my wing be ok since my working bench is flat? I relly don;t want to have to spend any addtional money if I can help it. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:41 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Ceiling Tiles

I do not think I have seen a ceiling tile with curl tips. I would think that you are okay as long as the center of the tile and your actual building part is laying flat on your table. Good Luck, Dave
Old 07-06-2004, 06:31 PM
FlyerBry
My Feedback: (8)

If you happen to know someone building a new home you can often get a couple scrap pieces of drywall for free. These hold pins well (i usually use a small hammer to drive them in) and they are very flat.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:14 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Are your ceiling tiles the yellow fiberglass type or the paper type?
Old 07-06-2004, 08:59 PM
Snyperx
My Feedback: (11)

I almost bought the yellow backed ones, but they were so flimsy and didn;t seem like they would hold t-pins worth a hoot so I got the paper backed ones I guess. They are made by Armstrong and are suprisingly heavy. They seem to be made out of a paper/fiber material.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:34 PM
pilotkelowna
My Feedback: (1)

I presume you are using the 2 ft. by 4 ft tiles - I.ve found that these often have a natural curl toward the finished side and if you flip them over the weight of the tile will flatten them out.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:19 AM
feihu-RCU

Hi-
Took a piece of 2x4 ft ceiling tile (the white kind) and contact cemented it to a piece if 3/4 2x4 hardboard and drew a centerline down the middle. Stays flat, takes pins easily, and have been using it for over 20 years.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:59 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I attached my tiles to 1/2 of a bifold (wood) door that I picked up at Lowes. I asked the person in the door department if he had a damaged door he would sell cheap. He had one without any hardware and sold it to me for $16.00. I got both halves and made a building board out of one side and will be building a cutting table with glass on top of the other one. I used 3M spray on adhesive to attach the tiles to the door, then sawed the edges off using a drywall saw.