Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

help w homemade voltwatch

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

help w homemade voltwatch

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 10:38 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help w homemade voltwatch

I bought a locally made voltwatch meter similar to the one made by hobbico. The meter goes from 4.7-5.6 with a light for every 10th of avolt 4.7,4.8,4.9 etc. It also has a button that when pressed draws 160 Ma which is suppossed to simulate a servo. How far down the meter can I safely fly? Also, the battery measures 5.6 and when I press the button it drops to 5.2. I am sure this is normal, but do I monitor the level of the pack with or without pressing the button?
Old 07-07-2004, 08:52 PM
Stick Jammer

Default RE: help w homemade voltwatch

It's best to stop flying and recharge when the pack gets under 5 volts, which ever LED corresponds to that voltage. Some fly all the way down to 4.8v but IMO it's not worth the chance. Always check the voltage with a load, in your case, the button, though 160ma load seems a little low. You will get a lower reading by putting a load on the pack vs. no load at all.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:38 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why put a load on it? Leave it plugged into the RX -the servos furnish the load .
On the EXPERT 501`device - one just looks at the bars -then stir the sticks - see what is happening under load.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:28 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I would fly down to 4.8 volts then recharge
Old 07-08-2004, 07:32 AM
Gringo Flyer

So I go by the reading I get when using the servos/pressing the button, or by the reading it stays at constantly. For example if it measures 5.2 and I press the button and it goes down to 4.7 is it say to still fly? Which reading do I go by the one with or without a load?
Old 07-08-2004, 09:38 AM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go with the reading with the load. The wiggle the sticks method is good, i put both sticks in complete circles to get all the servos working to put the greatest load on the batt. then look and see the lowest level the light drops too because it wont be on one certain light, it will jump around. good luck!

sean
Old 07-08-2004, 10:14 AM
Gringo Flyer

Thanks, that answers my question. I just installed the equipment in a new plane that I have spent a lot of hours on and wanted to make sure I keep the batteries charged up!
Old 07-08-2004, 11:08 AM
J_R

NiCads are dead, ready for storage, at 1.1 volts per cell. When they are completely charged, they will be at about 1.4 volts. At 1.2 volts they are considered dead for the purposes of flying.

In other words, if you have a 4 cell pack, when it reaches 4.8 volts (4x1.2) it is generally considered dead. A full 4 cell pack should read about 6 volts (4x1.4). When you recharge is a personal preference and depends on how long your going to fly and how much you like the plane (as well as how much work you put in it).

Personally, I recharge at about 5.2 volts, but, basically, I'm chicken.

All voltage readings should be made under load.