Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

LED for Onboard Glow?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

LED for Onboard Glow?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 08:32 PM
AIRPLANENUTS
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED for Onboard Glow?

Guys, I have made an onboard glow system for my plane, and I want to wire a LED between the switch and the glow plug to indicate when power is being applied. The LED's at Radio Shack have a 1.8v forward voltage minimum, with the only exception being an infared 1.3v LED (how are you supposed to see this?!). My problem is that the battery is only supplying 1.1-1.35volts, which is not enough to light the LED. Anyone know how I can trick the LED into thinking it is being supplied 1.8v? Capacitor, maybe? Thanks for your help.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:23 PM
Stick Jammer

Default RE: LED for Onboard Glow?

First off, you wouldn't be able to put an LED between the switch and the glow plug, it would have to be paralleled. Unfortunately, I don't think there is an easy way to light up an LED from 1.2 volts. The commercially made units get voltage from the receiver pack to run the circuitry and light the LED, the separate 1.2v cell powers the plug. Here's a link for the plans and all the info to build the OPTOGLO II on-board glow unit if you are interested.

http://www.cliftech.com/html/optoglo.html
Old 07-11-2004, 09:50 PM
AIRPLANENUTS

Thanks, Stick. I'll just have to forget about an indicator for my onboard glow.[]
Old 07-13-2004, 11:36 AM
AIRPLANENUTS

Well, since I can't use an LED, I think I'll try a 1.2v, 270mAh bulb. I'm using a 5000mAh cell, so this will only reduce my effective discharge time by about 10 minutes, assuming a 3000mAh draw from the plug. Thanks for the help, guys!