Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

TowerKote vs. MonoKote

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

TowerKote vs. MonoKote

Old 07-16-2004, 12:47 PM
JDBuddy
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TowerKote vs. MonoKote

I have ordered two rolls of TowerKote to put on a Tower Uproar 40 that I am building. Should I have stuck with MonoKote or is Tower's product just as good?
Old 07-16-2004, 05:45 PM
nekked_man_2000

Default RE: TowerKote vs. MonoKote

No, it's not as good. But it will work. I've used it, and here are the problems I've encountered.

1: it's not as strong as Monocote, thinner I think.
2: the edges tend to lift from fuel more easily.
3: it is more likely to wrinkle in the sunlight and heat.

Now, all of that said, a couple of things I do. I wrap the leading edge seam all the way around so the fuel and wind don't blow directly on the LE seam. Lighter colors wrinkle less in the sunlight. I have 2 planes I covered with Red White and Blue. The blue(dark blue) gets pretty loose, but the white doesn't seam to loosen at all...the red is over all sheeted areas, but it doesn't wrinkle that I've noticed.

gotta go hope that helps.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:58 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JDBuddy

I have ordered two rolls of TowerKote to put on a Tower Uproar 40 that I am building. Should I have stuck with MonoKote or is Tower's product just as good?
TowerKote and EconKote are the same product just labled differently. Both are LOW TEMP films. They are a little thinner than MonoKote. MonoKote is a HIGH TEMP film.

Just be sure you "Pull and Tack". Do the ends , then the middle, then the corners, then (depending on the size) in between. AFTER it is tacked down, seal the edges down, then shrink it. If you get a bubble over some wood, ***** one of the bubble with a pin and use the iron to smooth the bubble towards the hole.

Make sure your seams overlap by 1/4" (or more) and the seams on the leading edge of the wing are "to the rear". Do the bottom of the wing first, then the top. Have your seam at the middle of the leading edge (or lower). Always make sure the wind will press the seam down, not lift it up.
Old 07-17-2004, 04:10 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I covered my Tower Fun 51 with Towerkote. It was fine for the first few months but then the seams started to come loose, especially near the engine. Towerkote does not stand up well to fuel. If you want to keep your Uproar for several years you should not use the Towerkote. If you're happy flying it just one season then the Towerkote will be OK.

As far as application technique, Towerkote and Monokote are very similar. Just use a lower temperature with Towerkote.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:58 PM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

After several months the fiberglass has discolored the white EconKote I used. Looks like rust.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:14 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Econocoat bleeds easy.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:14 PM
RLDIII
My Feedback: (1)

Unfortunately, I found over the years that at least with film coverings, you don't get what you don't pay for. The econo-type films I used just did not last well, edges came up, clear film seperated from the pigment/adhesive, fuel got under the seams, the stuff wrinkled BAD in the sun..etc..etc.

There is a reason most of the better ARFs now come covered either in Monocoat or Ultracoat/Oracover. They just hold up the best, and they are all I use any more.