Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fuel Tank Position???

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fuel Tank Position???

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 03:06 PM
JetDr737
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Tank Position???

A very interesting debate stupmed everyone out at the field the other day. The topic in debate is why is it so crutial with the info given by ALL kit, engine and tank manufacturers that the fuel tank be located on the center line of the engine or needle valve.
Granted we are not talking about inches above or below engine or in the tail, but with most kits the tank will fall somewhere inline either on the high or low side of the engine centerline. Why is this such a big deal when we are pressurizing the tank?
Old 07-18-2002, 03:16 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm no genius in this area, but I would venture a guess...

The pressure generated by a muffler is probably not much, and the vacuum produced in the engines venturi is also pretty minimal. So the MFGs are prolly just trying to keep fuel-draw problems to a minimum. In the case of my YS, which has a serious fuel pressure/pump system, I mount the tank way back at the aircrafts CG to keep a good balance throughout the flight.
Old 07-18-2002, 07:53 PM
Mike James

Default Yep...

Same here. With a serious pump, like on my YS .91, it really doesn't matter.

Even on my (OS) sport engines, tank installation hasn't proven to be a problem, if it's reasonably close to the centerline. Engines are so much better today than just a few years ago that this is becoming less of an issue.

Don't get me wrong. I think it's always a good idea to follow the manufacturer's guidlines as a starting point. It's just that life isn't always that perfect, and I haven't had serious fuel draw problems with any of my planes over the last few years, thanks to better engine quality.

The OS engines, in particular just seem to run great, right out of the box.

... I love that!
Old 07-18-2002, 08:07 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

It is needed because the fuel lines are flexible and long lines restrict flow as well as the tank position needs to be correct to maintain proper feed throughout the entire tank of fuel. Mount your tank too low and when you have problems keeping it running, turn your plane upside down. You will see that it will almost flood the engine.