Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

what do I use for decal fuel proofing

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

what do I use for decal fuel proofing

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 01:10 PM
NJ Georgee
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do I use for decal fuel proofing

I just have a couple of questions;
1 whats a brushable fuel proof for decals?
2 Is acrylic paint fuel proof?
3 Is minwax acrylic clear coat fuel proof?
I was hoping you might know of somthing to use that can be bought in a hardware store
Old 07-18-2004, 05:42 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: what do I use for decal fuel proofing

MANY of the paints for plastic models are fuel proof, I believe Tamiyna (spelling?) is.

I know ACRYLIC LACQUER is fuel proof, I "think" acrylic enamel is also.

If you are not sure about a paint, do a test panel first. Just use a piece of scrap wood.

I am not sure about the MinWax acrylic clear. I do know the regular MinWax polyurethane (oil base) does yellow from age/exposure. I KNOW that 2 coats Minwax PolyCrylic (the water base) is non yellowing and fuel proof to 10% (maybe more). I did a test panel using 2 thin coats of the polycrylic as a clear coat. I let the polycrylic dry for 8 hours, then poured 10% nitro fuel on it and let it sit for 24 hours. At the end of 24 hours the clear coat was "a little" soft. This was noticeable as a slight "dragging" on the cloth when cleaned, but that was all. I feel that I am not going to leave raw fuel and/or fuel residue on my planes for 24 hours before cleaning them, so no problem.

When I make my own water slide decals, I fuel proof them with a thin coat of either LusterKote clear or Ultracote clear. I use the MinWax PolyCrylic for fuel proofing the whole plane (I paint using latex).

Hope this helps.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:28 PM
hilleyja

Don't know how well it works over time, but have found polyurethene to be a good surface for fuel-proofing -- look for the non-yellowing labels.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:04 PM
NJ Georgee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your help,Im glad to hear Tamya is fuel proof ,Thats what I used on my cowl,
Im surprised that it is because its water based acryllic.But I love that Tamya paint its the best I ever used.100% hummidy and it still dried in 3 minutes..lol My local shop just set up a stand of Tamya paints and im trying to get a good selection for my self set up.
I will try your test and see if it stands up to fuel.One paint I dont like is Master Modeler
There flat paint doesnt dry to a consistant flat,shiny and blotchey looking.
Boy if they only had Tamya paint when I was young I would have made some master
peices..lol I also like the way RC stuff has come to be afordable,as a kid that stuff was way out of bounds,you had to just dream of it.I guess thats why my hytec radio says on a label"Touch your dream"....lol Thanks for your help,I love this universe ..lol
Old 07-19-2004, 02:52 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

If you are going to be doing much painting, you may want to investigate using regular latex paint. It can be color matched to almost any color for about $8 - $10 a quart. If you brush, use a foam brush with latex and it works great. The catch, it takes MOST latex paints 7 - 10 days to cure before they can be clear coated. I have heard that SOME brands can take as long as 30 days. I do not have the link available, but there is an excellent article on painting with latex paint. A search should get you the link if you are interested.