Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Covering help please

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Covering help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 09:33 PM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering help please

would like to dull the aluminum ultrakote to look weathered, what should I use so as not to scratch it. Thanks
Old 07-21-2004, 10:13 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Covering help please

Pick up some 1000 or 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper and use it wet and LIGHTLY. You should be able to get the results you want.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:54 PM
Blackwings59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Campy has it right. Just besure to keep it good a wet. I will actually keep a small bucket next to the work area with water in it and keep a couple of pieces of sand paper soaking. Sand a little with one piece and rinse it in the bucket and get another piece that's been soaking. Sand with it for awhile and repeat the process getting the piece before. I also use a spray bottle to keep the surface wet. Sand lightly!
Old 07-23-2004, 10:21 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Is it crome oracover you mean...aluminium surface???
I have used this material on my Marutaka DC-3 ,on the wing, covered it in sections (about 30) to obtain a weathered aluminium surface..and the result is very convincing .....
You do as the fellows suggested ...wet sand with 1000-1200 paper ...but you have to remove the waxed paper on the back of the Oracover and you have sand the Oracover film on a pice of glass...otherwise small specks and dirt will give an uneven surface.
.......if I only could understand how to put digital pictures here I would send along some so you could see the DC-3 Wing.

Regards!
Jan K
Old 07-23-2004, 10:26 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jaka, to post pictures, don't reply in the box below, click the "Post reply" button. That will give you the option od uploading pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56286.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	156498