Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Difference w white monokote

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Difference w white monokote

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference w white monokote

Last night I was covering a wing with monokote. Primarily white on the bottom and red and yellow on top. Is it just me or does the white monokote not shrink down as much as the colors? So far I have used white, blue, cub yellow, red, and black and it seems like I always spend more time getting the wrinkles out of the white. Maybe I am just crazy.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:46 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Difference w white monokote

I've found that different colors of Monokote have different shrink rates but, not drastically different. The application temperature and the shrink temperature are the same no matter the color. Oracover has one application temp and another higher temp for shrink.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:59 PM
Mike in DC

This was discussed a while back in a thread, but I forget the title. The consensus was that your experience is common. I believe (with no scientific evidence) that white is different because they have to make it as opaque as possible. Baxter (GP Support) was on the thread, but wouldn't say anything other than if you think it's defective, send it back.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:04 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I dont think the role is defective and it works fine. It just seemed to me that it shrinks less or that it requires a little more heat to shrink an equal amount. I can imagine that different colors would behave diferently. I was just curious if others have thought this as well.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:14 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally haven't seen as much handling difference between the standard colors. Metalics and pearls OTOH do not, for me, go around corners or shrink anywhere near as well as the standard solids. I can't comment on transparents as it's been many years since I used it and just don't remember.

John
Old 07-24-2004, 09:01 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are not crazy, unless we both are crazy, which could be the case. The white does take a little more heat to shrink. I have found that different colors do work at different temps. To me white will also turn transparent when pulled hard around corners.

Dru.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:57 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now you know why MANY modelers have changed over to Ultracote (Oracover). Ultracot (oracover) now have matching paints too. My experience with the Ultracote paints have shown that they spray better than LusterKote and cover better also. The match is as good and in some cases better than LusterKote.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:55 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

White does not absorb as much heat as the colors do.

Les
Old 07-25-2004, 09:40 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another point to add is that monokote shrinks more in the roll direction. If you have open bays in the wing, make sure the monokote "roll" direction coincides with the span of the wing. Otherwise there will be sagging in the open bays