Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How realistic is an electric conversion?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How realistic is an electric conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 02:28 PM
+c0re-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How realistic is an electric conversion?

I'm just looking for a new model, preferably an ARTF. I'd like to get a P-51 mustang because I've always liked these planes, but I can't seem to find a decent electric one. All the ones I've seen so far are either too small, or require much more assembly than I'd like.

Is there much hope for buying a gas powered model, and converting it to electric? there are some nice planes I've seen that take a .60 2 stroke engine, but I'm guessing this is going to be impossible to match in terms of power/weight with an electric motor and battery.

Any suggestions or advice would be welcome, ultimately I'd like to get a decent size electric mustang, with minimal building.

thanks in advance
Old 07-31-2004, 04:19 PM
LuckyArmpit

Default RE: How realistic is an electric conversion?

You would be wrong. The latest brushless motors put out a helluva power curve!!!! You could match one up and even use an MEC
gear reduction drive. Even a speed 600 motor with an Olympus belt drive can fly a 5 pound plane. The motor and gearbox would
be less than about $50. Jason Shulman flew I think during nats with an electric powered craft. One thing though, once you get up in
the brushless sizes and add lipoly battery packs to keep down the weight, your lookin at over $300 easy!!!! Spend 200 on a nice 4 stroke!
For more info, I'd suggest you look at the forums on E-Zone...the area of the web with all the electric experts....www.rcgroups.com/forums

Dave...
Old 07-31-2004, 06:08 PM
âûñøåå îäíî

not only that, jason just won (I found out from his dad) but the anital envestment will be more then a glow plane, do the to cost of LIPO batteries
Old 07-31-2004, 07:37 PM
+c0re-

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm kinda suprised that it'd be possible but the work involved in figuring out what kind of motor/battery/prop to use sounds way more than I want to worry about, so think I'll try and find a nicer kit
Old 07-31-2004, 09:01 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Hangar 9 .60 size Mustang converts well. Check it out:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217517
Or a .40 size:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149025
Old 07-31-2004, 09:30 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As has been mentioned, electrics are getting there in terms of power to weight, but the cost is still prohibitive. To get an electric powered 40 to 60 size plane to fly like it's glow powered counterpart would likely cost at least $350 to $450 for the motor and ESC, then an additional $250 to $400 for the battery pack and charger. (That'll buy a lot of glow fuel.)

If I remember correctly, the electric planes that Jason and others are flying (1/3rd scale aerobats) have over $800 in just the battery packs. (Newest technolgy LiPoly's, packs wired in both parallel and in series to provide both voltage and amperage.)

Of course, on the other end of things, you could fly a GWS foam Mustang with around a 30" wingspan for something less than $250 complete.
Dennis-
Old 08-01-2004, 06:47 AM
+c0re-

Ouch that's a bit more than I was hoping to spend

The GWS mustang I would like, but is there any way to finish it to a nicer standard than just assembling it? I built the GWS foam spitfire this week and it's a nice little plane, but the finish on it leaves a lot to be desired (paint scratches easily, white foam shows through, and there's gaps from inaccuracies in the manufacturing process).

If I could fill and cover this plane in some way it'd be pretty much perfect for me.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:52 AM
âûñøåå îäíî

DBcherry, jason was the only one flying electric, and he switched to electric, because it is an initial envestment was $400, but he would go threw a gallon of fuel a day, which would put him back $20 a day, and the batteries will last awhile
Old 08-01-2004, 10:59 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sport flying electrics are not that expensive, About comparable, mabe a little more expensive for intial investment. You really need to check out the RC Groups forums and find out the real story.