Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Ground control Cessna 182 40

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Ground control Cessna 182 40

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 08:48 PM
Dragon Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground control Cessna 182 40

I've just finished a cessna 182 ARF and I blessed it with a Satio 72 four stroke. The plane has been balanced according to specs wing to wing,and prop to vertical fin. When I taxi the plane for take off it tailwhips almost out of control everytime.I don't think that it is pilot error because my flying buddy is having the same trouble with it. By the way the prop is a 13x6.When I do manage to get it off the ground it flies great. It almost seems the front wheel hasn't got enough weight on it thus making it VERY hard to handle on the ground. Remember the plane is balanced perfectly. Any info on this would really be appreciated.

Tommy
Old 08-19-2004, 09:12 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Ground control Cessna 182 40

How much throw is on the nose wheel? Is there any play in the rod to it so it can turn more than you want it to? You can use down elevator on the ground to put more weight on the nose wheel to see if that is the problem, but I don't think it is. I would line it up for takeoff, and use a little up elevator and steer gently with the rudder for control and see if that works. If it is too light on the nose, you can move the mains back just a touch. Tought to say, but I would start with checking the play in the nosewheel.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:05 PM
Dragon Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to try the nose wheel adjustments first as you have suggested. Great Planes e-mailed me and said basicly the same thing,they went on to say if I could turn on a dime with it, there was way to much throw on the wheel,so thank you for your advice and if I get it worked out before I burn it in I'll post the results to let you know and maybe help others with this.

Thanks again,
Tommy
Old 08-20-2004, 08:18 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like one of two problems (or a combination of them ).

First, make sure the nose wheel lines up with the rudder.

The problems:

Too much throw (movement ) of the nose wheel. Reduce the throw (amount the wheel can turn )

Insufficient weight on the nosewheel. Move the mains back a little.

Let us know how you made out.