Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Balancing My Tiger 2

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Balancing My Tiger 2

Old 08-31-2004, 06:15 PM
aec12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balancing My Tiger 2

I just finished assembling My Goldberg Tiger 2. It went together great and everything fit nicely. But, as I proceeded to check the balance, I find that it is EXTREMELY tail heavy. It looks like I will have to add about 10-12 ounces to the nose section in order to balance the plane.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Is this too much weight to have to add?

Thanks
Allen
Old 08-31-2004, 06:36 PM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Balancing My Tiger 2

Is your battery pack as far forward as you can get it? It should be under the fuel tank if it will fit there. And you may want to move the rest of the radio equipment as far foward as possible too.
There are other things you can do as well. Heavier spinner or prop nut, APC props are a litte heavier than wood so that will help. And may be a larger motor!
Last resort add lead to nose! It happens.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:17 PM
aec12

Thanks Doug,

I did try to get the battery and receiver as far forward as possible. Also, I mounted a Thunder Tiger Pro 46 engine on the airplane. Do you think this engine is lighter than a 46 made by other companies? Any other advice would be appreciative as I really do hate to add this much weight to the airplane. By the way, thanks for the reply.

Thanks,
Allen
Old 08-31-2004, 10:22 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been a while, but I seem to recall having nose weight in my T-2. After flying it some time, I changed out the .46 to an OS 60 FP, which weighed a lot more. And flew it better.
A heavier receiver battery helps also.
I heard of one where the builder listened to the "experts at the field" and glued the cutouts in the rear of the fuselage back in place.. which REALLY made it tail heavy!
Old 08-31-2004, 11:49 PM
dabigboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it a tail dragger? Mine's a tricycle gear setup, and with a 4-stroke .48, aluminum spinner, and APC prop, it's always flown fine. I later switched to the TT .46 Pro and balance seemed to be about the same. Rx battery is just at the leading edge of the wing, so nothing extreme going on here to make it balance. Then again, I'm not the original builder.........I suppose there's a remote possibility that the builder stuck a bunch of lead weights under the tank!

I'm currently converting the plane to a tail dragger and I'm afraid it's going to be tail heavy. How much, I dunno, but with the lack of nosewheel, the addition of a scale tailwheel, and a bit of extra glue, wood, and filler in the tail to patch up some old scars, I'll probably have to add some weight to the nose (especially if I go to a .40 2-stroke like I'm planning). OTOH, it might have been nose heavy enough that moving CG back a little will turn it into a better flying plane, rather than making it a mess to control.

-Matt Bailey
Old 09-01-2004, 06:14 AM
iowanspctr

I built mine as a tail-dragger with a TT .46. Balances perfectly with the battery and receiver behind the tank. No weight added. Flies really stable so long as I keep the speed up a bit. Lands as easily as anything I have. Don't know what could have gone wrong to make yours so tail heavy?
Old 09-01-2004, 06:19 AM
aec12

Thankls Paul and Matt,

My Tiger 2 is setup as a tricycle. My receiver is all the way forward against the tank. The battery is setting right behind the receiver, between the servos and receiver. I actually tried putting the battery on top of the receiver and checked the balance. It was still very tail heavy.

As I said earlier, it is about 10-12 ounces out of balance. I am still wondering if adding this much weight to get it balanced will be too much weight to put on board the airplane. It just seems very extreme to me.

Thanks,
Allen
Old 09-01-2004, 03:30 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Take your tank out and put the battery under it.
Also, try to move your engine further forward on the mounts, if there is any more room.
Lastly, like Matt & Iowan said, convert it to a taildragger.....it will shift more weight forward, and it's a great "tail-dragger trainer" because of the long tail moment. It's very easy to taxi. I think that mine also lost a little weight overall when I converted it to a taildragger.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:56 PM
aec12

Thanks Glowplug,

I will give these tips a try. At first glance, I didn't think there was enough room under the tank for the battery. But I will definitely take a closer look at this option.

Thanks for the info,
Allen
Old 09-01-2004, 03:59 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

There should be enough room.....personally, my battery is right behind the tank.......but I have a HEAVY SuperTigre .45 on mine, mounted far forward, so I didn't need to put it under the tank.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:34 PM
aec12

Thanks for the info, Glowplug.

Allen