Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Gorilla Glue

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 01:49 PM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gorilla Glue

Hello, I'm on the process of assembling a 60 size Extra 300 (ARF) and decided not to use the supplied CA hinges. I opted for Dubro pinned hinges and was wondering if anyone has used gorilla glue on them in the past. I've read the tutorials on how to use gorilla glue on hinge points with the q-tip but with the small slot instead of the hole i'm not sure how it will work. I also would like an opinion on how many hinges will be needed for the rudder. I used 5 per aileron, 4 per elevator half which leaves me only 3 for the rudder without either ordering more online or a 45 minute drive one way to the LHS. I bought a 6 pack and a 15 pack. There is 7 inches of available space to hinge the rudder, so would 3 hinges be enough or should i use 2 CA hinges in between the nylon dubro's ?

Thanks in advance,
John
Old 09-10-2004, 03:06 PM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gorilla Glue

Been there done that. It foams and pushes out then gums up the pin. I had even soaked the pin in vaseline. Tried epoxy works well and ca on the Dubros. The CA was very easy. However their is some opinion that CA degrades nylon. Long term test was not possible due to a dumb thumb but the hinges held for three months of flight. I could not pull them from control surface.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:44 PM
John Murdoch
My Feedback: (11)

I do all my hinges with gorilla glue (except CA hinges, of course). The nylon pinned hinge works great. Take a thin nail file, my wife has exceptional ones that she doesn't know I use, and open the slot up to where the hinge will slide in and out without much binding.

I use oil and vasilene to prepare my hinge. Vee the hinge so that it's at about a 60 degree angle and put one drop of oil on it. I use regular 30 wt. motor oil. Once it has run down just inside the vee portion to the bottom, I usually just stand them on end on a piece of paper towel to soak up the excess. Then I go over it lightly with the pointed end of a wooden skewer just barely dipped in vaseline to get an even coat all over the hinge area only. Don't get oil or vaseline on the flat pieces of the nylon part. If you do, wash with dish soap, clean with alcohol and start over.

Because Gorilla Glue is water activated, I take a syringe (my friend's a diabetic and I get all the syringes I need) I inject a small amount of water into the upper and lower portion of the slot. I usually do them all at once so they have somewhat a chance to dry.

Pour a little glue on a piece of paper. Now, on a #11 exacto blade or something similar, dip the blade in the glue and insert the blade into the opened slot that you made. Swish it around so you know both the top and the bottom, inside the slot is covered. Wipe any excess away from the slot face. With a Q-tip, sparingly spread a little glue over the 3/4's of the flat part of the hinge starting at the outermost edges. Do this to all of the control surface slots then the attachment slots. Insert all your control surface hinges into the wing/stab/fin whatever, and press together evenly. Make sure you leave just a little gap for the control surface to oscillate without binding.

Leave it alone for about 20-30 minutes. You'll see a little foamy glue appear. Take a clean exacto knife and scrape the excess off. The glue comes off pretty easy.. With a paper towel or a thin rag soaked in alcohol, wipe the hinge to remove any vasilene or oil that remains on the hinge.

I've never had a pinned hinge ever break, come apart or even loosen using this method. In fact, I've had whole airplanes go in where the intact hinges were the only thing that survived.

I'm sure epoxy works well, but I'm using Gorilla Glue for any hinges I ever put in again.

Just my opinion.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:21 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

I use PU glue with pinned hinges thus: Make your slot. Make it as snug as you can, insert your hinge and drill a hole through the wing & hinge tab. The hole in the glue tip is just the right size to insert a round toothpick into to get a thin coating of glue on it (dampen the pic if you wish) . Insert and trim flush when dry. The glue will expand to stabilize the hinge, but not enough to ooze out. I would think 3 hinges would be plenty.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:54 PM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

Well i hinged one aileron with gorilla glue and personally i think its a royal PITA ! does anyone have any facts on the theory that CA dimishes the properties of nylon hinges because i think thats what i'm going to use on all the other surfaces. I have thin and medium CA on hand and was thinking the medium will do the trick beings that it has some filling properties.

Thanks,
John
Old 09-11-2004, 12:27 AM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

Maybe use epoxy but don't give up on Gorrilla glue. I love the stuff. Try not using any water to prep the surface. It should foam up less. Maybe try using less. Doesn't take much of this stuff to glue with.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:48 PM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I asked the question in an earlier forum about CA and nylon.

Frank Tiano (ZAP CA) says it embrittles nylon
Bob Smith Industries says no

Both of these guys bottle CA

See this post

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1296957/anchors_1296957/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#1296957[/link]