Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 05:24 PM
canopy2k
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is it?

I found this at the field the other day. I guess someone was done with it! Its in fairly decent shape. Needs a paint job and some touching up. But what is it, and who made it? The fuse seems to be lite ply skeleton covered in thin foam. The foam is then covered with plastic or fiberglass. Leaning to the plastic. Wings are made the same way. Wingspan is 60", fuse is 41" from the firewall to the back of the rudder. Any ideas?
Brice
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24177.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	174108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57691.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	174109  
Old 09-16-2004, 05:29 PM
Fletch124
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: What is it?

you just found that thing? What if some guy just left that there to go home to an engine, prop,spinner and cowl? good find
Old 09-16-2004, 05:35 PM
canopy2k

I dont know if its a good find or not.. LoL. Im guessing someone was just looking to get rid of it and couldnt bear to put it in the trash.. Needs a new canopy and cowl. Since I have no idea what it is, or who made it, I cant get the parts. I suppose i could make a 2 liter bottle cowl, but that wouldnt do it justice. Its seen a lot!! of use. But I would be willing to fly it for fun.. Im leaning towards it being an EZ Models P40, but I cant even find out for sure if they made a P40. Anybody?
Brice
Old 09-16-2004, 06:28 PM
Fletch124
My Feedback: (7)

wow i just noticed this it looks like the horizontal stab is way off from the wing tips, like the fuse is bend. Maybe some one just got so mad at it because they built it not square so they couldn't crush so there you go.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:33 PM
canopy2k

Nah, theres just no wing bolts. The wing was just sitting in the saddle and not held in. Its all square. I just didnt have any bolts handy to screw it on.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:17 PM
Draco

Dude, you found my plane. It was stuck up in the tree for a couple of weeks!!! JK.... Nice find.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:28 AM
BillyGoat

The description of the covering sounds like an early generation ARF. I remember guys showing up at the field with ARF trainers built like that. They were heavy and impossible to repair without looking absolutely horrendous.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:46 AM
canopy2k

Yeah, I am pretty confident that it is an ARF. And repairs.. forget it. Throw it away if you damage it. It is however, not that heavy. I would estimate about 3.5lbs with no electronics, etc. That makes around 7 with everything. Pretty light for this size warbird.. Sure wish i could find out what it is..
Brice