Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

sig something extra

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

sig something extra

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 09:21 AM
Dave the RcFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sig something extra

I'm going to buy a used sig somethin extra from my instructer so that I quit overstressing my trainer. I'm going to put my trainer radio equitment until I get used to the plane, then I'm going to upgrade the motor to a thundertiger .46 and learn 3d with it.

is this a good idea? and where do I order another servo and a y harness
Old 09-27-2004, 04:22 PM
Stick Jammer

Default RE: sig something extra

The SE needs at least a .46 ball bearing engine for decent performance. If your trainer engine is a .40 it's gonna be marginal. The SE is a great fun-fly plane but not really cut out for 3D.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:43 PM
Daryl_y

The Fed-ex guy just delivered my SE Friday and man what a great kit, building very fast one wing half is done and many of the tail pieces are glued together. Should have be done in 3-4 weeks no problem. Still setting on the fence about what engine to put in it. I have an older os .46 SF that would be a good fit but Iam thinking of a 4 stroke A .52 probably would not fly it very well and you would pay a pretty heavy weight penalty for a .70 so what do you guys think the .46 or the .70?
Old 09-27-2004, 11:14 PM
Dave the RcFlyer

I'm putting a 46 in mine when I get more cash (I have the money now I just don't like making huge purchases) I downloaded a SE for g2 and it seems like it flies true. I checked the specs and it's set up factory default. its fun to throw around with my .40LA but when you put the .46 then you have an airplane.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:55 PM
Fletch124
My Feedback: (7)

wow thats a big step kinda from a trainer to a Extra something. As for Servos and other equiptment you need is right here http://www.towerhobbies.com/listings/cat-cat-l.html Remember when ordering a servo make sure you get the right size because if you get a servo that can't hold the pressure from the control serface you strip a gear inside and then i think you should be able to know what happens next. So ask your instructor what size servo you should buy before ordering.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:23 AM
David Cutler

Standard size servos are fine in a Somethin' Extra.

-David C.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:13 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Dave, standard servos are fine. I am flying mine with an OS46fx and an 11X5 prop. Plenty of power, not unlimited vertical, but it will go straight up for quite a while.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:44 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use an OS46AX with an APC 11x7 prop. Great power with good but limited vertical. An even better prop is the APC 12.25x3.75. Much better vertical and slows the plane somewhat but quite a bit more noise.

Standard servos will work just fine. I'm using JRDS537's in mine beacuse I had them lying around.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:55 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave, I've been pondering this exact question myself. I recently decided to get another SE (it will be my third), but what engine?

I built the kit with an OS .46SF. Plenty of power, great model, brain fade caused me to sell it. Then I got the ARF and put a YS 63 on it. If you get one that runs well, this is the hot ticket engine. Mine was less than stellar, but I stuck with it, and two weeks after I finally got it running like it should, I murdered the airplane by forgetting to hook the wings up...

Like Stick Jammer said, this is a great sport model, but not a true "3D" plane. So there is no reason to insanely overpower it. A 50-class four stroke is plenty of engine. I have settled on a Saito 56.

I considered my 70 Surpass, or perhaps a 72/82 Saito. If you're building the kit, it is a relatively simple manner to move the firewall back a half-inch or so to accomodate the larger, heavier engine. But putting one of these in the ARF, or an unmodified kit, is a bad idea, because it will stick out too far and make the model very nose heavy. The YS 63 is about the same size and weight as a 46 two stroke, and I still had to put the battery as far back as I could get it for balance.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:47 AM
Dave the RcFlyer

thanks for the info. I'm sure I will have tons of fun with this plane.
wow thats a big step kinda from a trainer to a Extra something.
I get yelled at for overstressing the wing with my aerobatics, my instructer keeps telling me I'm going to snap the wing in half
Old 09-30-2004, 08:28 AM
Mokken
My Feedback: (63)

I've got one coming, have a YS .63s I'm going to put on it. Going to enlarge the rudder and make a few more mods that will make it 3D a little better.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:48 AM
Dave the RcFlyer

well I bought mine and it looks really nice. I'm going to fly it for a while and when I get the cash for a new flightpack and motor I'm going to recover it and do some mods. but right now I just want one to fly. still undecided on the motor, what is the best one to put on this plane for 3d?
Old 09-30-2004, 01:58 PM
Mokken
My Feedback: (63)

ORIGINAL: Dave the RcFlyer

well I bought mine and it looks really nice. I'm going to fly it for a while and when I get the cash for a new flightpack and motor I'm going to recover it and do some mods. but right now I just want one to fly. still undecided on the motor, what is the best one to put on this plane for 3d?
Can't beat a good 4S... YS .63, Saito .80, O.S .70......
Old 09-30-2004, 06:29 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I have one with a .51 ST. I have flown one with a Saito .72. This is the hot set-up. There is no weight penalty. The engine weights listed from the MFG's are W/O muffler. By the time you add that in the Saito .72-.82 are the same or less than a lot of .45-.51 sive two strokes.
David
Old 10-02-2004, 03:27 PM
flyerdude

os 46ax, is a real powerhouse and is only $115 on towerhobbies.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:30 PM
Walleye

I have a OS46 FX in my Somethin Extra with a 11x6 prop. I also have JR 517 servos. I think I am over stressing the servos a bit for the Rudder and ailerons. I use a "O" ring instead of rubber bands to hold the wings on. The plane flies great and is allot of fun except for windy days. I also found that some expo smooths out the plane. I am surprised that this will be your second plane. It can get you into trouble real fast. I set up flapparons and spoilers on the landing switch of my JR8103. Spoilers helps with spot landing in club contest, especially in the wind.
Jerry Wallis

ps: don't use a Y cable unless you have a crummy radio.