Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Too much elevator ? Rolling...

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Too much elevator ? Rolling...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 10:28 AM
JustPlaneCrazy3D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much elevator ? Rolling...

I am new to flying and was wondering why some planes will roll with too much elevator ?

Thanks !
Old 10-11-2004, 11:14 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Too much elevator ? Rolling...

can be a combo of things. One could be that one of the elevators is coming up more than the other causing the roll, or another could be that you are pitching up very quickly causing one tip to stall before the other causing the roll, or you could have a warped wing. Those are just a couple reasons it could happen. There are a ton of other factors that could cause it. CG could also play a part.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:17 AM
clolson
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: FlyLikeAnEagle

I am new to flying and was wondering why some planes will roll with too much elevator ?

Thanks !
Disclaimer: my degree is in computer science.

I have a couple planes that roll with too much elevator, and I'm pretty sure this is because high amounts of elevator are forcing the wing to stall. Normally one wing will stall before the other, and that combined with propellor torque, the swirling prop wash, and other little non-symetric things, causes the plane to "spin". You are actually doing a "spin" in the horizontal direction. Don't forget that a wing can stall at any speed if you force it into a high enough angle of attack. Releasing elevator let's the wing come back to a more normal angle of attack and the roll should stop. If you watch closely, an elevator induced roll should look a bit different than an aileron induced roll.

One thing that I've done in my Mariner is to pull the plane into a high speed vertical climb, then go with full elevator, full aileron, full rudder. The elevator forces the aircraft into a spin (but it's heading upwards while spinning) and the aileron/rudder just aggravate the rotation. As the plane slows down (not enough power to go unlimited vertical) it sort of rotates and tumbles in place. This actually looks really cool with the offset thrust of the Mariner's power pod. There's probably a name for the manuever, and it's stupidly simple to do, but again, my degree is in computer science, so some of the simpler things in life tend to fascinate me and capture my attention. :-)

Curt.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:38 PM
superflea

actually both wings stall at the same time, either because air flow was disrupted over the wingS from too steep of an angle of attack meaning the bottoms of the wingS are now meeting the oncoming air therfore destroying lift OR you have slowed down to a point that the wings are not generating enough lift to support the weight. but in either case both wings will be in the same situation and both wings will stall. one wing may drop all the time but that has to do with engine torque, balance, and flight attitude, and simple aircraft design. remeber they are not designed to stall, they are designed to fly. but rest assured that both wings will stall at the same time and at the same speed.

and sinse i know some one will say that the outside wing in a turn is moving faster than the inside i will say now that that is true if you are pivoting on a wing tip. but sinse turns are not flown that way.....
Old 10-12-2004, 09:41 AM
JustPlaneCrazy3D

Thanks for the great replies !

I'm glad I found out about the snap/roll with too much elevator when I was at a high altitude with my VENUS..

Thanks Again !