Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How to re-attach lost landing gear?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How to re-attach lost landing gear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 12:54 PM
Test005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to re-attach lost landing gear?

Today when I testflew my new World Models Skyraider Mach ll I landed it a bit hard and left the landing gear behind while the plane bellied in.
The gear is ripped off together with the wooden mounts and the plate that covers under the tank area.

How should I repair this so I won't loose them again?
I was thinking about plywood, getting two square pieces and drill holes for the landing gear, then epoxi the pieces in the corners where they used to be.
Would plywood be a good choice of material and does anyone have any tip on how to fix this?
Old 10-14-2004, 01:20 PM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How to re-attach lost landing gear?

The stronger and more durable you make the connection between the landing gear and the fuselage, the more of the rest of the plane will rip out when you make another landing that's "a bit hard".

Put it back the same way and try to land easier next time.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:36 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Pettit has a very good point about additional damage if the landing gear mount is TOO strong.

If the plate the LG goes into is not too badly damaged, reglue this in place with some 30 minute epoxy and epoxy some 3/8" triangle stock in to reenforce it. If you have to replace the plate, use the same material (usually 1/8" lite ply). That should provide you with a reasonably strong LG mount that will still come out (if needed) to prevent major damage if the landing is too hard.

Part of the reason it came out is that MOST ARFs are built using a glue gun and frequently the glue does not get between the surfaces to be glued - it just lays on top. I would also suggest reenforcing the firewall to fuselage joints by epoxying in some 3/8" triangle stock.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:51 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

and change over to 1/4-20 NYLON bolts to secure the gear in place. This way, teh bolt heads can and will give under extreme landings, saving the airframe. (and repairs, as you now know) 4x #6 screws into blind nuts will win / survive intact, usually always at the expence of the fuse..
Old 10-14-2004, 03:57 PM
Test005

Thanks for the input guys!

I'll try to get the gear back on without making it too bulletproof.
Didn't think about the fact that if I make it too strong something else will break instead...
I will also reinforce the firewall now when I have clear access to it

I think the best choice would be a good solid plywood base and a new landing gear that bolts on to that surface with nylon bolts.
The stock landing gear is bent on the base to go into the landing gear block, I'll try to find a new gear that mounts on the surface.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:23 PM
mikeboyd

I had one of those planes. Really a great flying, cheap ARF, but the landing gear platform was very weak and installed with what looked like "hot Glue" I cleaned off the old stuff. The hard wood they used on mine was nearly rotten, so I purchase new wood from the hobby shop, duplicated the original installation, installed with 30 minure epoxy, made new (american steel) landing gear and flew the #$* out of it, with many hard touch and goes with no problem. Did have to rebend the wire gear a couple of times, you know how hard fun flys can be on an airplane.

Hope this helps.

Another hint, I put double aileron servos in mine with flaperons. Could not believe what a great performer this low wing trainer was, and only $70.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:06 PM
msu68stang
My Feedback: (7)

I use nylon bolts on all of my planes. I fly off grass and we have a few ant hills and gopher trails. When you hit these on landings they tend to rip off your gear. With the nylons bolts on there the bolts just sheer off and the landing gear falls off and you just belly slide. I've had to do this a few times and have never ever broken a apc prop. I use the same size ny bolts that the kit calls for.