Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

3 Questions about engine + covering + kit

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

3 Questions about engine + covering + kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 10:00 PM
polish smiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Questions about engine + covering + kit

Hi,

1. I have never build a kit and wanted to ask, if I can cover the plane by using an household iron, I mean one of those you iron your clothes with ?

2. Then, how do I decide if an engine is too big for an airplane? The case is I have only a .25 engine available, but wanted to build the Lanier Stinger 10, they say .10 to .15 is the rec engine size. Will it fly with a .25 OS engine?

3. I'm german, so I don't really understand what the Stinger 10 kit includes, what do I have to buy else except for the radio and engine? And it isn't really a kit, its rather a ARF, I mean if it says foam wings, they are already "built" right? Sry for those stupid questions, but I have no clue of english names for R/C parts.

It says "Foam Wing with Partial Balsa Sheeting and Cap Stripping Required' What is required???

"Vacuum Formed Canopy" What is the canopy??

Sry for these dumb questions

thx and bye bye
Old 10-15-2004, 11:21 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: 3 Questions about engine + covering + kit

Ok let me try and answer this one for you.

#1. Yes you can use a regular iron as that's what a lot of us did when Monokote first came out, just set it to cotton.

#2. A .10 would be the low end for an engine and this model and a .15 would be the high end recommended by the manufacturer. a .25 would over power it but it could be done, just would need to use the throtle more and it probably would be nose heavy and you would have to add weight to the tail to get the correct CG.

#3. I have never seen this kit in person but let's say it's a built up plane, not an ARF and i am basing that on question number 4. the wings are cut out of foam and from the sounds of it you will be putting sheeting on the foam at the leading edge and trailing edge, then using thin strips of balsa you would simulate ribs, make it look like it's a built up wing.

a canopy is the hood that goes over the cockpit. It is clear just like on a real plane.

the questions aren't dumb and one has to start somewhere, hope I have been able to help you out.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:23 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: polish smiley
2. Then, how do I decide if an engine is too big for an airplane? The case is I have only a .25 engine available, but wanted to build the Lanier Stinger 10, they say .10 to .15 is the rec engine size. Will it fly with a .25 OS engine?
You already asked this question in another forum. A couple people have told you that a .25 is probably too large for this kit. This is especially true since this would be your second plane.

3. I'm german, so I don't really understand what the Stinger 10 kit includes, what do I have to buy else except for the radio and engine?
The parts included with a kit are different for each kit and for each manufacturer. Most of the manufacturers will tell you on the kit box which parts are included, and which additional parts you need to buy. Some manufacturers are very vague about what parts are needed, and others are very detailed. Having the list on the box does not help if you are going to buy the kit online, rather than from a hobby shop where you can actually see the kit.

I've found that most manufacturers have web sites, and most of these provide details about their kits. For example, here is the URL for the Lanier Stinger 10: http://www.lanierrc.com/lrcprivate/r...es/sting10.htm
If you go to that link you will find a VERY detailed list of the parts included as well as the additional parts you need. They even tell give you an exact part suggestion, such as "LXB904 Dave Brown Lite Wheels 1 1/2" (2)" rather than "Wheels 1 1/2 in (2)". Very nice.

You should be able to get the same information when you finally decide on a kit that is appropriate for your .25 engine.

Sry for these dumb questions
And they are not dumb, there are many things to learn about this hobby. I've often heard that the only "dumb question" is the one unasked.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:39 AM
polish smiley

thx guys, then I'll have to find a hobbyshop near me and look at the kits and ask them for advice which kit I should buy for my engine. I hoped it'll work with a .25.. What exactly happens if the plane is overpowered? wouldn't the .25 engine use its power to lift up the 3 oz it weights more than a .15 engine?
Old 10-16-2004, 01:37 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
A too big engine is going to make havoc with a small model because it will make it too nose heavy, have too much wing loading, perhaps too agile, this combination is not suitable for a newcomer.
I recommend that you get in touch with a R/C flying club in neighborhood and try to get someone to help you with flying.
A good trainer is the ARF trainer from Kyosho "Calmato" which requires a .40 engine like the OS LA .40 with is a good reliable engine for this airplane.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 10-16-2004, 08:24 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: jaka
A too big engine is going to make havoc with a small model because it will make it too nose heavy, have too much wing loading, perhaps too agile, this combination is not suitable for a newcomer.
Complete agreement.
I recommend that you get in touch with a R/C flying club in neighborhood and try to get someone to help you with flying.
Pretty sure he's already done this, per his thread in the kit building forum.
A good trainer is the ARF trainer from Kyosho "Calmato" which requires a .40 engine like the OS LA .40 with is a good reliable engine for this airplane.
Two issues with this response. First, he was not asking for a trainer, he was asking about a specific plane. Second, he is obviously looking for a plane that is suitable for the .25 engine he's already got. Why would you recommend buying yet another engine? Sorry for flying off the handle like this, but I keep seeing a pattern of people who seem to feel that they need to steer people toward 40 size planes. Telling someone who has already said he has a 25 available that he should go out and buy a 40 size engine just makes no sense.