Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

.25 for P-51D Mustang 20?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

.25 for P-51D Mustang 20?

Old 10-19-2004, 05:55 PM
polish smiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .25 for P-51D Mustang 20?

Hey,

it"s me again, and I wanted to ask if the .25 engine would be OK for the House of Balsa P-51D Mustang kit, they suggest a .19-.21 ... But I can"t find any other kit for my .25 kit which doesn't cost more then $60

And then another questions, if I order at TowerHObbies, how long does it take them to deliver, and what are the shipping costs and how do I pay

bye bye
Old 10-19-2004, 07:38 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: .25 for P-51D Mustang 20?

The 25 would be fine for that plane.

Sorry, I can't help with shipping cost or time to Germany.
Dennis-
Old 10-19-2004, 07:47 PM
polish smiley

no problem, I'm living in the US now I"m an exchange student...

I have one more question, what cover foil should I use? It's the first time covering for me and I have only a common iron at home. The iron for the clothes Which one should I buy, Top Flite Monokote? plastic or fiber? etc ..?

thx and bye bye
Old 10-19-2004, 08:05 PM
nekked_man_2000

I have a Magnum GP.25 on mine, good combo, an LA .25 would probably be good...don't know about the FX.25 or whatever they call it now, the Ball Bearing engines are a lot heavier, but a lot more powerful...and a lot more expensive. The GP .25 pulls it real good.

I'd buy Monocote for your first go at it. You can experiment later with other stuff, but for the first time you can't go wrong with Monocote. Stay away from Econocote, or towercote....they work, but until you get a system going they are easy to burn a whole through with a clothes iron, and the seams don't stay stuck as well as the more expensive monocote....also darker colors sag a lot sooner in the sun.

just my 2 cents

Austin
Old 10-19-2004, 08:38 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

As you've already heard, this engine/plane combination should be fine. However, a P-51 Mustang is NOT a good first kit, and is NOT a good second airplane. I gave you one idea of a kit that would be in your price range in your original post in the Kit Building forum, but it seems you stopped looking at that post and opened one in this forum instead.

Your earlier question asked for a kit that was similar to the Lanier Stinger 10, but in a 25 size. If you changed your search to a 25 size kit that was good as a second plane, you might have better luck. Also, you should think about whether you really want to build a kit, or if an ARF would be ok. The reason I mention this is by the time you buy a kit and all the extra things you will need to complete it, you will double or triple the original cost of the kit. This means a $60 kit could cost you $120-$180 when you have finished. There are many ARF planes in the 25 size that cost less than this. I'll list some specific ideas a bit later.

Tower will give you estimated hipping times when you fill out an order. You can get this before you actually place the order. If it helps any, all of my recent orders from Tower were with standard shipping and usually arrived within 3-4 business days. If you are ordering online, you need to pay with a credit card. If you mail in the order, you can pay with a check. Probably the easiest thing to do is discuss this with the family you are staying with and ask if they can pay with their credit card and then you give them cash.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:10 PM
polish smiley

thx guys, lots of help

@piper chuck, hm..i know it'll crash for sure...that's kind of sad, but I don't find another plane 25 size that looks good. and I don't want a ARF, I like the building of the plane, I propably like it more than flying, thats why I want a kit, you are right the price goes up, thats why I wanted the kit to be that cheap, I'l get the p-51D under $100 without engine and radio, but thats enough for me my parents in germany are sending me the engine and i'll buy a radio on ebay here. my parents here already agreed to pay with the credit card for me

thx and bye bye

PS Piper Chuck if you had a good suggestion for a 25 size plane, most likely shoulderwing, post it pls. I looked at the other thread, but I didn"t like the planes, like the Piper Club etc ...
Old 10-19-2004, 11:02 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: polish smiley
PS Piper Chuck if you had a good suggestion for a 25 size plane, most likely shoulderwing, post it pls. I looked at the other thread, but I didn"t like the planes, like the Piper Club etc ...
I didn't suggest a Piper Cub, I suggested a shoulder wing Pilot kit. Did you look at it?
Since you don't want an ARF, I'll go back to looking at kits.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:58 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd recommend Ultracote for covering. It's a bit easier to use than Monokote.
Dennis-
Old 10-20-2004, 08:38 AM
bhole74

I flew mine with a 25fx. FFFFFFFAAAAAAAAASSSSSSTTTTTT. Had to cut the engine to land cause it would idle about 35 MPH.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:22 PM
polish smiley

what means "idle about 35 mph"?

and thx fdor the covering tip dennis ... I still don"t know what to take but I'm ordering soon

@piper chuck, sry I didn't mean to say you suggested the kit, but others did for example

bye bye