Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Aeromaster Bipe control throws?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Aeromaster Bipe control throws?

Old 10-27-2004, 11:46 AM
topwinguk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aeromaster Bipe control throws?

Just started building a standard Aeromaster bipe from the original Lou andrews kit plan and cannot find any statements on recommended control surface movements. Anybody know what they should be?

Tony
Old 10-27-2004, 07:49 PM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

Default RE: Aeromaster Bipe control throws?

I am flying an Aeromaster now with a ST 61 - I didn't measure the throws but I can check. I always put in as much rudder as I can get and about 1/2 up and down on elevator and at least that much on ailerons. The original kit used bellcranks and one servo for ailerons, I would change that is possible to two separte servos but it works good as-is. Really a nice flying plane,
Old 10-27-2004, 10:36 PM
perdo
My Feedback: (61)

If you can't find that info on the greatplanes web site e-mail me and I will look in the brand new kit I have int he shop waiting to be built...

Don//
Old 11-21-2004, 12:50 AM
loopnspin

Hi Tony,

I have to agree with Ron. I modified mine by eliminating the single servo/bell crank setup in favor of dual aileron servos. It was much easier to set up and you will get much better response from the ailerons as well as having a backup in case the single aileron servo fails. As for control throws, I set mine up per the instructions and was happy with overall flight performance except for ailerons. If you have dual rates, leave the 1/2" deflection for the ailerons on low rate but add another 25% for high rates. I found that 1/2" throw on them made for pretty dull flying, but that is just me. On elevator, again I used 1/2" throw on low rates and increased it to at least 25% more on high rates. I set up rudder for 3/4" throw left and right on low rates and as much as I could get on high rates with 40% exponential on high rates.

This is a really nice flying biplane. One word of advice, use a good reliable engine. If this plane goes dead stick, it doesn't glide all that well and descends pretty quickly due to all that drag. I don't know if you have already selected an engine, but I used a Saito .91 four stroke and it powers this plane very nicely. If you want more speed without going overkill, try the Saito 100. It would really put some pizazz in this plane and give you very good vertical performance. Don't hesistate to ask anything about building this plane. I would be glad to help you with any step you have a question about.

Jeff
Old 11-21-2004, 12:13 PM
topwinguk

Hi Jeffand everyone else who replied

Thanks for all the good advice. I was going to put an SC 61 in mine but maybe I should up it to the 74 or 91 as they are all the same size dimensionally and almost of equal weight. I was interested in the statement regarding the high glide speed which I guess must be due to a reasonably high wing loading. I have a DeBolt Custom bipe powered by a Laser 70 which is dream to land dead stick but it has a pretty light wing loading. This model is 46 years old and has been the testbed for dozens of engines over the years including Super Cyke sparkie. Never had any major damage to it, which is the more than I can say with more recent models. I usually manage to hit the perimeter fence when dead sticking but I am always convinced I can make the strip!!! It's called "old age" or something more sinsiter! Like your picture Jeff and could do with details of how you attach the wheel pants to the gear (spats here in UK) as my plan gives no details. Managed to get a few flights in this afternoon, probably the last this year due to the dreadful weather in UK at present. Envy you lot who live in more temperate states. I miss the heat from when I worked for Lockheed Georgia and flew with Cobb county club.

Wish you all a happy Xmas in advance of the day.

Tony