Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions for making covering stick to filler?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Any suggestions for making covering stick to filler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 12:25 PM
mefly2
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any suggestions for making covering stick to filler?

I have a plane that I did a bit of work on...I bought it with some shipping damage. Easy fix I thought, just peel back the covering (ARF) and fix and then restick the covering. After fixing the area, which was dented in, I used lightweight spackling to smooth everything out nice, but now the covering will not stick to the spackling and keeps wrinkling up after it cools...

I thought about using something like Super 77 on the area...letting it dry then re-stick the covering, but I thought maybe someone else had a better way.

I would appreciate any suggestions you might have...this part is on the top of the fuse right behind the cowl, so it is hard to miss a few wrinkles...and a decal wouldn't look very good here... .

Thanks,
Bob
Old 08-13-2002, 01:09 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had problems in the past with that light weight spackle. If it's not too late, remove it, and re-fill the area with "Elmers wood filler for light woods" available at your local Wallmart and the like.
Old 08-13-2002, 01:17 PM
jlouden
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could use Sig Stix-it or Coverite Balsarite. These are both heat activated adhesives.

John
Old 08-13-2002, 03:01 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just clean any wax or dirt off it, coat it with any alphatic resin glue (Titebond II works well), let the glue dry then apply the covering using your regular heating iron.