Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

can you use white glue????

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

can you use white glue????

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 11:28 PM
highflyer353535
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can you use white glue????

just wondering if you can use white glue to glue the sheeting to foam wings?
Old 11-03-2004, 12:35 AM
CafeenMan

Default RE: can you use white glue????

It's not a good idea because it will take forever to dry. Remember, water base glues dry by evaporation. Better choices are contact cement (be careful that the type you choose doesn't eat foam. Southern Sorghum is good), epoxy in a thin coat or polyurethane glue.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:26 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Not wood glue like aliphatic resin. What you should use is polyurethan glue...I think one brand in the US is called "Gorilla glue". This is the lighted glue to use if you want to sheet a foam wing with balsa or plywood.
24 hour epoxy , like West systems and such is also good but slightly heavier....contact glue should be avoided too.
Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 11-04-2004, 01:14 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the above. I used white glue once and it did take a long time to dry, but the worst part was that the balsa sheeting absorbed the moisture and warped badly. Looked like little rolling waves on the ocean! Fortunately the 'waves' mostly shrank down when it completely dried, and a lot of sanding took care of the rest. Lesson learned!
Old 11-15-2004, 08:22 PM
straitnate14
My Feedback: (2)

i used whit glue on a wing once and if you dont get the thing on perfect fast it will warp bad but i did mine at 9:30 at night and went to bed and was dry the next morning, it turned out nice.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:03 PM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

White glue and Aliphatic glue and different animals and have different properties. I wouldn't use white glue for any of our modeling applications because Aliphatic glue is superior on every way (TiteBond II is an example of Aliphatic glue and is my personal favorite).

Also, I disagree that Aliphatic isn't a good glue for sheeting because it really is. However, don't use it the "normal" way. What you do is to brush on the Aliphatic glue to BOTH contact surfaces and then let it dry completely. Then, position the sheet over the area of the wing and use a clothes iron on medium heat to iron on the sheet. You have to play with the temperature.
The heat of ironing activates the glue just long enough to bond, and it bonds exceptionally well.

Highflight