Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Zagi with a glow engine

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Zagi with a glow engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 08:22 PM
awatts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zagi with a glow engine

I'm wanting to put a .10 sized engine on a zagi, but I'd like to know if anyone else has mounted a glow engine on a zagi. If so, do you have any detailed pictures on a website that I could see or that could be e-mailed to me? (By the way, I've vacuum bagged the wings with 1/16" balsa sheeting so they can take the punishment they're going to eventually receive.)

I originally think I saw detailed pics at www.yourzagi.com, but they're not there anymore.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2002, 08:36 PM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How you gonna launch that thing with that glow engine running?

Vince
Old 08-14-2002, 09:34 PM
awatts

One method of launching it is on video at this site: http://run.to/acer

I have a friend who has a flying wing and he simply holds the wing out in front of him, with the wing in a position to fly away from him, and lets it go. The engine is plenty strong to just pull it straight up.

The only real problem is that first flight when you don't have the wing trimmed out yet!
Old 08-15-2002, 10:19 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

I have thought many times of putting a glow engine on my Zagi, just having too much fun with it to stop and do it.

The other day at the field I was flying it and it was fairly windy. I had my TX on high rates and I was really cutting up. I tied a loop real low and it snapped at the top and slammed into the ground upside down. Everyone at the filed gasped and were sure the Zagi was finished. The cowl flew off and the battery was laying next to the plane. I reinstalled the battery, put the cowl back on and tossed it into the air. I could hear several comment s about it, like that is one tough plane.

Love the Zagi
Vince
Old 08-15-2002, 07:30 PM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

I put a Cox .049 on my FMA Razor, easy to launch with the fat bellys on them. Since then, I glassed it, put a TT.07 on it, but I have not finished it yet.
Old 08-15-2002, 10:19 PM
awatts

I'd love to see how you mount your .049 on it (if you have pics once you're through). I'm sure I'll come up with something though. I just wanted to see if someone could jump start my brain a little.

By the way, if you ever get the chance, try a zagi with the Astroflight 803Z brushless motor. It's perfect and it screams. With an 8 cell 1100ma or 8 cell 1700ma battery, you can easily get 30-45 minutes of fly time...if you do a little floating around in the air versus all out flying. All out flying with still get you 7 minutes to 15 minutes respectively.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:51 PM
awatts

Default The glow zagi lives!

Finally finished it. Has an OS-CVA .15 on it. Not flown yet, but looking forward to it!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	42438_12760.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	13644  
Old 12-23-2002, 01:59 AM
Flyfalcons

How about this one? Two OS40FP's, 81" span, first flight in a couple weeks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	42490_12146.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	13645  
Old 12-24-2002, 04:15 PM
awatts

It's great to see someone else trying this. I expect yours will have plenty of power with two 40's on it. That's killer! I'd be interested in knowing how you determined the mounting angle of the motors and such or if you just kind of winged it so to speak and hoped for the best. I contemplated making mine a pusher too, but decided against it. Seemed a bit complicated. Anyway, good luck on the first flight and please come back a post once you've done it. I'll do the same. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:20 AM
OWIERK

Did you sheet it with balsa wood then glass it or did you just glass the foam wing? I've never glassed foam what process did you use?
How did you work out the CG? What is the WS, and the total weight of your Zagi?
I'm looking to put a .15 on my Zagi and trying to figure out the best way to do it. I've epoxied some thin plywood to the front and have the engine mount installed. I just used the normal packing tape on the foam and now I'm thinking that I should glass it.