Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

*Where To Get Custom Made Decals*

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

*Where To Get Custom Made Decals*

Old 11-03-2004, 12:49 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default *Where To Get Custom Made Decals*

I just bought the Model Tech Magic Extra 300L .46 and I'm putting an OS .50 SX on the business end. This plane is really dull looking right out of the box so I want to dress it up a bit. Where is a good place on line to have decals made. What does it cost to have them made. If anyone has any pics of what you had made for your plane I'd really like to see it.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:08 PM
Spuetz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *Where To Get Custom Made Decals*

Hello Zippi,

I just made my own decals. Bought decal paper from [link=http://www.kustomrides.com]Kusto Rides[/link]. Then I printed the decals on my inkjet printer (HP Deskjet). After the print you have to seal the decals with some kind of clear coat. Otherwise the ink will dissolve in the water. You can use a spray can of anything clear from the local hardware store. I used two component car paint, that I sprayed on using a professional spray gun and compressor. Did that so it is fuel proof. But you can even buy two component spray cans.
Worked really great and is very easy. This way you can put on your airplane whatever you want at very low costs. Sounds much more difficult than it is. Made mine in about twenty minutes.

Cheers, Martin
Old 11-03-2004, 01:31 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if your going to make a decal 25" to 30 " long, can you buy and set up your printer to handle that size of paper? What is the name of the 2 part clear that comes in a spray can?
Old 11-04-2004, 07:01 AM
Spuetz

Hello Zippi,

I am not sure if Kustom Rides offers paper in that size. And the printer is limited to its tray width, of course.

I would suggest, though, that you cut those large decals into pieces and join them on the surface, that you apply it to. This is also because I think that water slide decals can only be handled up to a certrain size. If they get too big, it will be difficult to apply them without ripping them or having air bubbles and so on... But if you work accurately, the joints will not be seen. Also I would recommend giving the finished model a layer of clear coat. This way you will protect the decals further and the places where they join will not be seen.
On your computer you can of course create pictures of any size. Then it depends on the program you're using, whether it will distribute it over several pages or not. If not, you just do it manually, by creating several letter sized files that you paste the pieces in.

Bt what kind of decals are you intending to make, that are so large? If it is just ornaments, like stripes and so on, I like to spray them on (ore use iron-on stuff, like monokote). If you use a very narrow contour tape - you can buy those from car paint suppliers - you can create all kinds of intricate shapes. They can be led around corners quite easily. A little airbrush art, maybe? Or just use spray cans (one component) and just seal the finished artwork with two component clear (if you are using a glow or gas engine. Electric is easier)

I don't know any brand of paint in the US, since I am located in Germany. I am using Standox, since a Standox shop is down the road from where I live. But if you research the yellow pages for car paint suppliers, you'll find someone who will give you the right stuff. Any paint, that body shops use for repair is good.

Another good idea when painting models, especially on those areas that are covered with fabric or similar (like between ribbed wings and so on), is to add quite a bit of softener. You can buy that where you buy the paint. I know people that add up to 50% of softener. What it does is, it keeps the paint kind of rubbery, flexible after curing. This way you will never have cracks. Just immagine a two stroke gasser and its vibrations. All the free spanning fabric parts will vibrate like a drum felt...

Just one more thing: Car paint is expensive. At least here in Germany. They only sell in quantities of at least a quart and charge easily up to 60 dollars for the can. And they do have a "use-by-date" of about 24 month. Especially the hardener gets old after a while. So another idea is to go to a local body shop and try and talk them into giving you smaller quantities...

The disadvantage of spray cans is, that you have a fixed mixture and a set nozzle size. Can be too thick. I like to add quite a bit of thinner, to keep the coats thin and light. So I do reccommend using a spray gun and compressor. Another thing that a lot of modellers do here is to give the model to a body shopor professional car paint shop (they might know someone who works there) and have them paint it. They use clear coat all the time as the top coat for metallic paints. Sometimes it only costs a couple of bucks for the kitty.

Hope this helps.
As always in our hobby. It's all about communication...
cheers, Martin
Old 11-05-2004, 05:02 PM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

I just made some decals with decal paper from micromark, for my J3 Cub. Did it in a Chicago Cubs theme. I also bought some from somewhere else, but can't remember now. I'm at work so I can't post any pics now. Just follow the instructions in the post above. They also include the instructions with the decal paper. As stated above, if you make long decals they can rip. One of mine did, but I slid it back together. Also you can get vinyl decals made from [link=http://www.cutimages.com/index.html]cut images[/link] . He made me some for my Bell 222. Nicely made. He's in the RCU forums, and advertises here on RCU. Hope this helps.
Joe

P.S. Also keep in mind. Decal paper comes in clear & white. The white paper is for decals that would have white in them, since printers do not print the color white.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:14 AM
kdheath

Have you thought about getting vinyl graphics cut? Try http://www.rockinrose.com/ I had this fellow cut me some fnacy numbers and lettering and they are really nice, and have held up under two seasons of hot sun. He does model planes specifically, so he talks the talk.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:30 AM
DustOffUH1

I checked out the web page and saw the p*ss on it guy. That just turns me off instantly. Never liked that little p*ss on it guy. Just my simple opinion. Maybe he does some nice stuff. But I live in Chicago, and all the gang bangers put that sticker on their cars. Have an apartment full of gang bangers 2 doors down, and they all have that little dingbat on their cars. Kinda makes an association for me. But that's just me I guess. Just turns me off. But like I said maybe he does some good stuff. Don't know. I've ordered from Cut Images & he makes very nice stuff. Sorry just my opinion. After all this is America. Right to free speach, and the right to put whatever stickers on your car or planes, I guess.........
Joe
Old 11-06-2004, 11:04 PM
carrellh

The man who runs this company does graphics specifically for RC hobbyists
http://www.customcutgrafix.com
Old 11-26-2004, 06:19 PM
Aero Graphix