Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

covering 1st plane

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

covering 1st plane

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 07:35 AM
rspangle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default covering 1st plane

Wanted some input on what device to use to cover my first plane that I am building. I have seen heat guns and irons for sale. Are there certain areas on the plane that one should be used over the other or can one be used for covering the entire thing? Advantages/Disadvantages of each?Is there a type of covering this being the first one I am going to do? Thanks
Old 11-12-2004, 07:41 AM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: covering 1st plane

The plan in my avatar was my first covering job. I just used a 21st Century iron and a Top-Filte trim iron and Ultracote.
The Ultracote shrinks nicely and is easy to iron. Just be patient, go slowly and pay attention to the temperature of the iron.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:22 AM
rspangle

Is Ultracote the same as Monokote? I was looking in Towerhobbies and they have Monokote.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:00 AM
chris_in_montreal
My Feedback: (1)

Ultracote is the same in that it is a heat sensitive film, but different in that it shrinks at a lower temperature than monokote. The general consensus i've seen on RCU is that people tend to prefer ultracote to work with although i can't comment. I used Monokote on my first build and didn't find it difficult, just take your time with it is all i can say and plan out how your going to carry out laying on each section. I have the top-flite trim iron (great for getting into any corners or tacking down on small areas), the top-flite "full-size" iron and the top-flite heat gun. Each found there use in covering different parts of my plane, below is just how i found each to work on my first cover job:

Trim iron:

Great for working down the edges of sections of covering before shrinking the middle. Also good for getting into corners and doing any detailed areas where you need to look at what you're doing while appying the heat (the "full-size" iron tends to obscure the working area).

"full-size" iron:

Good for working down areas of covering over larger areas of sheeting (sections of wings, fuselage).

Heat gun:

Best for shrinking down "unsupported" areas such as wings.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-12-2004, 10:01 AM
rspangle

The description of the hardware was one of the things that I was really looking for since this is the first plane that I will be covering and Chtristmas is right around the corner . And the difference between the coverings is good info also. Thanks
Old 11-12-2004, 10:26 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't forget to look up Minnflyer's videos on how to apply the covering with different little tricks outlined for your convenience.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:39 AM
rspangle

Do you have a link for that?
Old 11-12-2004, 10:58 AM
chris_in_montreal
My Feedback: (1)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...?article_id=67
Old 11-14-2004, 07:40 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's another:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=352

This is a review of the GP Profile-38 - If you scroll down to the section on covering, there are 3 videos that may help.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:51 PM
Mitty

ORIGINAL: rspangle

Wanted some input on what device to use to cover my first plane that I am building. I have seen heat guns and irons for sale. Are there certain areas on the plane that one should be used over the other or can one be used for covering the entire thing? Advantages/Disadvantages of each?Is there a type of covering this being the first one I am going to do? Thanks
A while ago i asked the same question and one of the guys ,Barking Bob sent me a video on how to cover with monocote made by great planes(if i am not mistaking). He did help me alot with the video so now is my turn,PM or email me your address and i'll send you a tape.
Hope it'll help.And welcome to the forum!

Mitty
Old 11-15-2004, 08:17 PM
rspangle

Thanks. My email address is [email protected]. Drop me an email and I will send you my home address. Thanks a lot for the help.