Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Spinner cutting into prop

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Spinner cutting into prop

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 08:35 PM
HookedOn4S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spinner cutting into prop

Hi,

I have a Dave Brown 3.25 alumium spinner fitted on YS110 via an adaptor nut from DB as well. The spinner keeps slipping, in anti-clockwise direction. and comes into contact with the spinner, resulting in grinding and cutting of the prop bit by bit by the spinner at the contact point. I believe this happens when the engine is started with a starting motor. But I have not yet monitor if the slipping occus if I start it with chicken stick.

I would like to try to salvage the spinner as it is not exactly a low cost item in this part of the world. I am thinking of drilling two small holes at exactly 180 degrees into the back plate, and insert a short screw through each hole, and fix soldered nuts onto the screws, acting as nudges to prevent the spinner from slipping. My concern is safety - I had an experience of being almost hit by flying fragments from a broken plastice spinner on the same engine.

I am wondering if anyone has done something similar, or have better way of achieving the same aim, and have no safety issue. Suggestion will be very much appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 11-16-2004, 08:47 PM
Stick Jammer

Default RE: Spinner cutting into prop

It definitely sounds as though this is due to using the starter. If it were caused by engine inertia the spinner cone would be forced the opposite way. Is it possible that the socket head bolt holding the spinner cone is a hair too long? The cone should not be slipping on the backplate. It could also be that you simply aren't getting the prop nut (adapter) tight enough.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:08 PM
HookedOn4S

Hi Jammer,

Many thanks for your prompting. I have eliminated the possibility of the prop nut not being sufficiently tight. I will try a slight shorter socket head bolt to see if that is the cause

p.s. Thanks for the proper names of each of the parts ...
Old 11-17-2004, 06:56 PM
Stick Jammer

One other thing I forgot to mention, if the spinner cone has cut into the blade roots of the prop, toss that prop in the trash. It doesn't take much to severely damage that area of the prop to the point of failure at high RPM's. This can be very dangerous especially on the ground.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:25 PM
HookedOn4S

Will toss the prop into the trash bin ... thanks!
Old 11-19-2004, 09:21 AM
rorywquin

To add to Stick Jammer's valid comments - whenever you fit a spinner (even a plastic one) care should be take that the cone does not have any contact with the prop as this will cause a wear point = prop failure!! Wide blade and high pitched props usually result in a lot of spinner carving !!