Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Super Sportster with a .90?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Great Planes Super Sportster with a .90?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 12:34 PM
yee-ha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Super Sportster with a .90?

Hi all. I have a Super Sporster .60 with a OS .61 four stroke. It is a real slug. I am putting the .61 four stroke on my Skyshark Skyraider project. I want to eventually fly larger airplanes, so I was thinking about getting the Super Tigre .90 two stroke, and breaking it in, on the super sportster. Thoughts? Will this be a good idea? I have flown some over powered planes in the past including a Lanier Shrike .40, (although I piled it Seems to me like it should handle it, although I have never had an engine that big. THanks.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:06 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Super Sportster with a .90?

Personally (And this IS only my personal preference) once an engine goes above the .50 range, I switch over to 4-strokes.

The OS 61 FS WOULD be a bit of a dog in the SS.

A 91 Surpass would REALLY make it sing!

Now if you want to get into bigger stuff later, I would stick a YS 110 in it and hold on to your socks!
Old 11-18-2004, 02:46 PM
IowaSilvia
My Feedback: (97)

I guess I would put either the ST .90 in it or an 1.20 4 stroker..............that's the ticket....
Old 11-18-2004, 04:27 PM
CRFlyer

I have a SS 60 with a super tigre .75 in it. The 75 provides a very good combination. The ST90 probably would work fine. If your an experienced flyer, you should have no trouble.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:21 PM
RGM
My Feedback: (5)

I guess it kinda depends on whats meant by "slug". The last SS 60 I had used an old ST Blue Head 60 and it motored along pretty good, even with that thick ole wing. A pylon racer it was not, and unlimited vertical it did not have. But it did give an overall decent accounting of itself. I would think that with it bolted to a 90 2 stoker, performance wouldn't be too much of an issue. The larger 90/120 Super Sportsters fly pretty good on 90 2 strokers. Again, depends on whats meant by "slug".
Old 11-18-2004, 09:40 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I've done it several times. A SS.60 was my third plane. This was about 12 years ago. It was COMO .60 power. COMO was a ST built for world engines. Any way this was my favorite plane for several years. When I would by a new ST either a .75 or a .90 I would run a few tanks through it on the SS60. Mine was a good plane with the 60. The 90 really wasn't any faster. At least not much. Where you tell the difference was the verticle. The 90 wouldn't even slow down with the nose up.

David
Old 11-19-2004, 12:29 AM
Fletch124
My Feedback: (7)

Well i had a supersportster with a 46FX in it and it was pretty fast but well it crashed and i just have no intention to fix it. with that .90 your going to heavily modify the cowl or whatever you want to call it. make sure all hinges are really well sealed because with .90 the smallest amout of flutter will end up in disaster.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:42 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Fletch you must of had the .40 size. He was asking about the .60 size kit. At one time the SuperSportster was available in
.20- .40- .60- bipe.40 and .90/1.20. Then came the .40 size ARFs. I have a 90/1.20 now. I wish I had rat holed another one before they all dissapeared.

David
Old 11-19-2004, 11:51 AM
yee-ha

Thanks guys. THis is all very intresting. I had no idea there was a bipe, or a .90 size super sport. What do I mean by slug? Well, its a slug. The thing looks fast, all streamlined around the nose and everything. It has a aluminum spinner and looks awesome. I got it at a estate sale with 13 other airplanes. Of course I ebayed the majority of them and ended up making money back. I like the ss though so I kept it. I was expecting it to be fast as it looked and was a little intimidated by it. Of course the first flight was a big surprise. It was like a low wing trainer. Very slow roll rate, easy to fly. Landing was a little faster than what I was used to. (I was flying a fun fly at the time) But definetly underpowered unless you just wanted a relaxing plane to fly. My main intrest is warbirds. I want a bigger engine for future use. I have been thinking about the Kondor Hurricane, I like the looks of the Giant Scale Planes Warbirds, but I hear they are junk. I also like the Super Kraft Monocoupe (the smaller of the two) And the Dynaflite Chipmunk is cool. Anyway, I was thinking .90 two stroke because I like the simplicity of two strokes. They drink a lot more fuel though. I also have a .52 four stroke and the .61 four stroke. I don't know. Do you guys buy engines for airplanes, or airplanes for engines? THanks again.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:59 PM
yee-ha

[8D]