Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

wing fillets

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 03:22 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wing fillets

I am planning on putting wing fillets on my current project, a .60-sized CAP 21. I've already got the 1/64th plywood glued in the wing saddle. It protrudes approx. 1/4 of an inch past the fuse sides. What is the best material for the actual fillet? I have light spackle, but I don't think it is strong enough. I have some Sig epoxolite that I am leaning towards, but want to make sure that it will hold up over time. By the way, i will be glassing over the top of the fillets and painting eventually.

Jeff
Old 12-12-2001, 04:08 AM
John B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wing fillets

Redoing the fillets on my P-51, I built up what I could with tri stock and finished with putty, shaped it with a spoon and it looks great.
Now to figure out how to cover them so they look good. I have a heck of a time with the covering wanting to pull up when I shrink it. tried the wet rag routine. kinda works but I need more practice.
John
Old 12-12-2001, 03:58 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Default wing fillets

Could you elaborate on the "wet rag" routine? I hate covering inverse curves..... I hate covering regular curves... I guess I hate covering period... I guess it's a necessary evil...
Old 12-12-2001, 10:21 PM
w0mbat

Default Filets

I have built up with triangle stock and filled with balsa filler also - this works pretty good but if you want something real easy just use bondo and a spoon - just be careful not to use too much hardener or your filets will shrink and pull the plywood up off the wing.
Old 12-13-2001, 04:23 AM
astrohog

Default wing fillets

Well, I did a little test last night. I did two test pieces, one with light spackle compound and one with epoxolite. The spackle piece was very easily sanded to a nice, uniform fillet, but wasn't very strong and I think it would crack over time, even with glass over the top. The epoxolite piece had a few little "ripples" in it where I didn't pull my "fillet shaper" perfectly evenly over the surface, but after a little careful sanding, it came out nice and smooth and it was real hard. So, I bit the bullet and did one real fillet on the plane with epoxolite and so far it looks real nice! I hope epoxolite doesn't shrink or I cold have an ugly mess on my hands in the morning! I think what I will do tomorrow after the epoxolite has cured is to put a skim coat of spackle over the epoxolite and then sand to shape so that any minor imperfections in the epoxolite are taken care of right off the bat!
Old 12-13-2001, 05:52 AM
funflyer99

Default fillets

Sig epoxolite is some great stuff. I have used it on several planes and does not shrink over time. I have finished with tissue and dope right over the fillets and have also just painted them and they look great for years.
Todd.
Old 12-13-2001, 08:14 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fillets

Expoxy lite is some mean stuff... Try and sand it into shape. <VBG> Spackle or the like is easy to sand but as you have realized is not very strong and is also easily damaged or dinged.

Try this method:

Use a good quality masking tape or even a electircans tape, I prefer the clear tape the sailplane and baot guys use, very strong, resistant to sanding. Outline the area that you want the fillet to reside in... Obtain an automative body filler commonly known as Bondo, this is a trade name, lot's of other products out there same type of material. I like the stuff offered for marine use best, it has fibers. You can also use a quality resin with colloidal silica filler, West Systems has a good products. Maybe even try micro ballons and expoxy resin. Apply the filler, shape patiently wait for the filler to go off and shape if required prior to it completely hardening, sand, top coat, sand and your finished. Extremely strong. I forgot to mention tape the wing as well fit the fuse to the wing and start the filling process. You will end up with a perfect mated surface that is strong as you can imagine...
Old 12-14-2001, 01:21 AM
doug l

Default wing fillets

since the 60,s..been useing triangle
leather. you can get it in 1/4,1/2,3/4,
1 inch. you push it down hard on wing and glue one side to fuze.
all done. one corner comes tanned.will
take any paint or finish or covering...
and never shrinks,,cracks,,or requires
any filler.
call around...you will love it.
Old 12-22-2001, 06:54 AM
astrohog

Default wing fillets

Wing fillets are done! They turned out great! Used Sig Epoxolite. After it cured, I gave them a light sanding and then used light spackle really thin over the top just to fill in any low spots. When the spackle was dry I gave it a final sanding and it looks awesome so far!!! I haven't glassed over top yet, but I have no doubt that I won't encounter any problems. Thanks for all your input, guys!

Jeff