Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

A health issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 09:33 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A health issue

This may be off topic but I would like to know if anyone has similar symptoms. I'm 54 and my son is 26, I been flying r/c since 1972 and my son since 1988, within the past 2 months my son has been complaining about his hands going numb and slowly getting feeling back. we went to a neurologist and he diagnosed my son with carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands, and recommends surgery because it is on it's way to becoming severe. My son's girlfriend blames the tinkering around you do when working on airplanes. I am experiencing the same symptoms, but I believe my symptoms are due to progressing arthritis. My concerns are with the surgery on my son's hands, has anyone out there had carpal tunnel surgery? If so how was the out come?

Thank you
Frank A Rega
Old 11-26-2004, 10:46 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: A health issue

I don't know for sure, but I thought carpal tunnel syndrome was from repetitive actions like typing, using a computer and the like. Everyone I know who has had it told me it was computer related-using a computer all day. All of my building, flying, tinkering are on different tasks. I feel better after doing RC work.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:18 AM
Jerry Sigur

I can't imagine RC activities causing CTS but having said that.
My wife had the surgery about 7 yrs ago and it worked out
great, no more probs for her.
Jerry
Old 11-26-2004, 12:07 PM
airega1

Thanks Jerry, that makes me feel better
Old 11-26-2004, 12:09 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am showing symptoms of it too lately, but I'm sure it has a LOT more to do with computers than airplanes.

I only WISH I could get a repetitive-type injury from being able to fly TOO MUCH!
Old 11-26-2004, 01:48 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

nope, computers.

Most have their computer on a desk, so the keyboard is not 'optimumly' placed to releive the stress on the back of the wrist. (The keyboard should be low enough so that your arm (at the elbow) is bent about 90° - 100°)

Most slouch, don't have their well placed feet on teh floor either. (you should sit in a firm seat, with your back straight, and your feet planted firmly on teh floor, or on a slightly slanted riser)

Their monitor is also either too low or too high (when sitted properly, the monitor shoudl be placed so that the upper edge of the screen is about 2" above your eye level)

And let's not forget the wonderful new toys attached to the TV: Nintendo, X-Box, PSII, etc.. There was an ailment in the 80's known as 'atari wrist'

My mum is suffering from it. Her computer is the cause in this case. That and using cheap can openners!
Old 11-26-2004, 04:52 PM
jbdismukes
My Feedback: (2)

I had CTS surgery on my right hand about 2 years ago. Only complaint was a rough place inside the cast which irritated the heel of my thumb - a fault of the cast, not the surgery.

I use a computer quite a bit, but not constantly like a data input clerk, who are some of the must common sufferers. My doctor said some earlier injury, such as a sprain, etc. could have caused a minor injury to the tendon or nerve bundle of my inner wrist which was then overly sensitive and quicker to react to what might ordinarily be normal movement. Whatever the reason, I no longer suffer from the numbness, loss of feeling, etc.

While driving, the thumb and first two fingers of my left hand become numb if I hold the steering wheel too long without shifting my grip. After I retire at the end of this year, I'll probably have the procedure done to my left wrist.

The procedure is very routine, the cast left my thumb and fingers free so I was not completely imobilized and the end result is great.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:09 PM
aimmaintenance

I'm thinkin "WEB MD" more than RCU......
Old 11-26-2004, 11:32 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: frankflyboy1

This may be off topic but I would like to know if anyone has similar symptoms. I'm 54 and my son is 26, I been flying r/c since 1972 and my son since 1988, within the past 2 months my son has been complaining about his hands going numb and slowly getting feeling back. we went to a neurologist and he diagnosed my son with carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands, and recommends surgery because it is on it's way to becoming severe. My son's girlfriend blames the tinkering around you do when working on airplanes. I am experiencing the same symptoms, but I believe my symptoms are due to progressing arthritis. My concerns are with the surgery on my son's hands, has anyone out there had carpal tunnel surgery? If so how was the out come?

Thank you
Frank A Rega
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can come from over use or repetitve use in people who use their hands constantly in their jobs, hobbies, or daily activities. The issues with typing are partly related to the wrists resting on the edge of the tabletop that the keyboard sits on, and putting pressure on the hand at the transverse carpal ligament, which crosses the hand at the base of the thumb. This ligament serves as a bridge over the proximal ends of the metacarpals. The flexor tendons that bend the fingers, the median nerve, and some of the hand's blood supply travel under the ligament in a "tunnel" between the ligament and bones. Constant pressure or overuse can cause swelling, which constricts the tunnel and puts pressure on the nerve, causing pain, tenderness, numbness, and eventually , weakness and muscular wasting of the intrinsic muscles of the hand (such as the one that allows the thumb to reach over and touch the little finger). Carpal Tunnel Release surgery involves partial or complete transection of the transverse carpal ligament to allow room and relieve pressure on the nerve.
As the incision heals, the ligament will scar in, and the tunnel remains open, but the structures still have adequate support. It can recur, but surgery is very successful and the great majority of people get good relief. There can be a period of time before all the symptoms disappear, and in extreme cases, some numbness may linger. I have been a surgical R.N. for 22 years, and have assisted on countless Carpal Tunnel surgeries. The procedure can be done under local anesthesia, or local with sedation, or regional anesthesia where the entire arm to the axilla is "numbed". Which method is used is usually the preference of the surgeon or anesthesia's, dependent on what they feel is best for the individual patient. The procedure takes from 15 minutes to an hour, generally about 30 minutes. Healing can take from 4-5 weeks to a couple of months, before full use of the hand can be expected, sometimes physical therapy is used to help regain strength and mobility in the hand. Hope this helps, good luck.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:40 PM
aimmaintenance

Does the transverse carpel ligament connect the fuel tank to the servo?

Old 11-26-2004, 11:56 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: aimmaintenance

Does the transverse carpel ligament connect the fuel tank to the servo?

Let's see, de finga bone connected to de han bone, de han bone connected to de rist bone, de rist bone connected to de arm bone.... I think it connects the throttle to the rudder.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:29 AM
MHall
My Feedback: (7)

One of the members of my club had the middle fingers on one hand done and now can fly better than ever. Before he could hardly hold the TX and now has full use of all the features and flys great. [8D]
Old 11-27-2004, 07:23 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

But can he play the Violin?
Old 11-27-2004, 10:37 AM
patternwannabee

My wife had her left hand done a few years ago.

And yes, she can play the violin. Again. For a professional violinist, this is no trivial matter.

From other professional musicians who've had the procedure done, the docs say you'll be fine it 4-6 weeks. It seems to take more like 4-6 months. My wife says the left hand still feels different, but the functionality is all there. Apparently it's still improving, but very slowly.

She's thrilled to have had the procedure done.

Now, if I only could get her to fly....
Old 11-27-2004, 03:04 PM
airega1

I would like to thank everyone for their info and experiences on Carpal tunnel. I'm just worried about my son's both hands and now I feel better reading the positive replies, and the medical reply from KHodges

I thank you all

Frank A Rega
Old 11-27-2004, 04:39 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd just like to add that turning tiny screws back and forth after adding CA into ply wood has caused my finger tips to feel numb. In fact tightening any of those little screws that are hard to screw in tends to fatigue my hands and fingers. The hobby can certainly take its toll on your hands if you really spend a lot of time building or tinkering. One thing I found that helps is using alan head screws with a screw driver handle to tighten or loosen it. In general I believe using the wrong tools can really do a lot of harm.

One other thing, make sure you are not folding your hands over, putting them under your pillow, and sleeping on them like me and my son do. It took me a while to realize that I was doing it. I use to wake up with my hands all tingly in the morning and never knew why.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:52 PM
patternwannabee

I agree with JoeAirPort.

For me, equipment installation and sanding take more of a toll on my hands than any other part of the hobby.

I've taken the allen screws trick one step further and bought ball drivers that I chuck up into my drill.

Sleeping positions also play a big part in Carpal Tunnel. After all, we spend a lot of time sleeping.

Frank, what does your son do? Have you found the cause for it? It seems to me the flying part is an unlikely cause, but if your son has been installing lots of equipment lately, it could be suspect. On the other hand, if your son holds the transmitter and sticks real tense, I suppose that could also be a cause.

Good luck.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:03 PM
airega1

He's not on the computer enough to get CTS but I think part of it stems from him playing with playstation 2
Old 11-28-2004, 12:22 AM
khodges

There are several things that can cause the numbness and tingling and pain. The distribution in the fingers is a hint to the cause,as is waking up at night with the hand numb, tingling or aching and no evidence of having slept on it, and there are several diagnostic tests, from manipulating the wrist and elbow and tapping the area where the nerve is located (Tinel's sign and Spurling's maneuver) to non-invasive nerve conduction studies (EMG). Cervical disc herniation, and ulnar nerve compression (at the elbow) also can have similar symptoms as carpal tunnel, as well as symptoms specific to themselves. Sometimes splints can be worn on the wrists at night and will give relief, and cessation of activities that require a lot of grip strength. It's best to see a doctor and determine the exact cause(s) if it is hampering daily activities. It is not necessarily CTS if you lay on your arm or hand and wake up with it tingling; temporary compression of the nerves or partial interruption of blood supply from the weight of your body can mimic the symptoms, but once the pressure is removed, they resolve fairly quickly.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:23 AM
airega1

KHodges, My son was sent for a nerve conduction study by a hand surgeon, Dr Joan Rose, and both the neurologist and the hand surgeon are recommending the surgery. My son's right hand is just about useless to him but he wants to keep working until Christmas is over, this has me worried only because his right hand is always in pain.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:02 AM
khodges

I can understand his desire to wait through the holidays, or even put it off for any reason. As many as I've seen ,I'd rather avoid the surgery myself, even though I'm probably going to need it within a year or so. One thing he may want to consider is getting it done before the New Year so he won't have to meet his insurance deductible again, if he's met it this year, or is this Workmens Comp? The sooner he gets it done, the better, for the sake of regaining use in his hand. It's never easy the first few weeks, especially when it's the dominant hand, but it sounds as if he has good support. I've seen people have both done at once, but makes me wonder how they manage at all for a while. I guess their thoughts are "completely helpless for a short while, or partially helpless for a longer while". Until you lose the use of a hand, you never fully realize how much they mean. I've hammered people and shown what is probably considered an unsympathetic attitude towards those who carelessly stick fingers in props, but I see too many needless losses of use. Encourage him to get it fixed soon.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:28 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

hey i'll tell ya that i've worked on cement floors for years being a welder
at 48 my hands and feet kill me some days.

i think its any repeta tive motion

ALSO, i think cement floors drain all the energy out of your spine

take youre vitamin C

Dan
Old 11-28-2004, 10:39 AM
birdnest

your hands and feet could hurt from neuropathy among other things. get a check up (see a doctor).

peter
Old 11-28-2004, 11:35 AM
airega1

I would like to thank RCU and KHodges among others for thier insight on this situation. RCU is a great site, and it's great that they kept this thread going.

Thanks
Frank A rega