Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Threading 4-40 Rod?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Threading 4-40 Rod?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 11:14 PM
aegis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Threading 4-40 Rod?

I need to thread a 4-40 rod for a 4-40 clevis and nut. I tried a 4-40 NC die but that's not right. Anybody know what size die I need to use? Thanks in advance for any info.

Dan
Old 11-28-2004, 12:22 AM
cknaack
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Threading 4-40 Rod?

If you are trying to thread a pre-threaded rod, similar to a Du-Bro or Sullivan, the threads are rolled. They are not cut with a die. If you are looking to make you own custom rods, you may want to consider the RodChuck system. A friend of mine just bought one, and we will never by threaded rods again. The system uses welding rod for the material. The rod is much stronger than the pre-threaded type.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:58 AM
carrellh

You have the right die. The info about the rolled threads on factory pushrods is correct. The wire diameter of the non-threaded portion is slightly smaller than the threaded end. So, if you try to thread the wire, it's too small so you get bad threads and a sloppy fit. If you can find wire the right diameter, your die should work.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:20 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

It will never work like you expect it to BECAUSE the factory rods are rolled. I gave up on trying to do that because even when you manage to get some sort of threads on the end of the rod, they'll strip out in no time.

Instead of trying to thread the rod itself, just solder on a 4-40 rod end onto the rod. It adds no real weight at all, and it's every bit as strong and effective as a threaded rod.

Highflight
Old 11-28-2004, 09:37 AM
Dsegal

You can get what you need at http://www.rodchuck.com/