Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Warped aileron?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Warped aileron?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 12:13 AM
Crash90
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warped aileron?

Question. I was doing some final sanding on the aileron of a giant profile. Somehow the TE developed a warp. Not sure how it happened as the LE is perfectly straight. The ailerons are built up and sheeted. I had the aileron jig under it right up to the point where I had to sheet the bottom. It is rather severe and there is no doubt that it happened sometime after the bottom sheeting was installed. I dont know if the dampness in the basement caused it ( it gets real damp when it rains outside) or if the wood glue somehow caused it to warp. Anyhow, any suggestions on what I can do to straighten it? I clamped it to a straight edge and wet it down a little. Dont know if that will work or not. If not what can I do?

The wing TE and aileron LE are not warped.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:37 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Warped aileron?

Sometimes the covering can be used to take out a warp. With a built up and sheeted surface it's going to be tough. I would try getting it damp with some amonia and weighting it down flat or a little twisted the other way. Then let it dry overnight. If this dosn't do it the Monocoat might do it.

David
Old 12-03-2004, 11:51 AM
Crash90

Thanks. I will give amonia a try first.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:38 AM
Xrod
My Feedback: (2)

Heat works well to correct a warp. Use a heat gun to thorougly and evenly heat the part, then hold it twisted a little in the opposite direction from the warp while it cools. This works wether covered or not. May have to do it a couple of times before it stays. Hope this helps.
Steve
Old 12-05-2004, 01:33 PM
Crash90

Thanks Guys. I ended up pulling the sheeting from the bottom. Clamping it flat then re-sheating. Worked great.