Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Aileron Servo Extension Cord placement

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Aileron Servo Extension Cord placement

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 09:10 AM
brsseb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron Servo Extension Cord placement

Almost done installing the flight pack in my PT-40. Think ive got a nice layout in the fuselage, with all the wiring neatly arranged so that there are no chance of cabels to interfere with the servo movements (servo cables bundeled up with strips, power. One thing thougu

Im using ailerons with a single servo in the middle of the wing. Got the suggested servo extension cord so that I can remove the wing more easiler, but the question is where do i tuck the long cable when the wing is installed? Is it safe to just lay it over the servo tray, or do someone got a good trick on how to place the cable somewhere safe when installed. Guess putting a rubber band on it and tucking it in somewhere too hard to get out kinda ruins the point of the exension cable..

Any hints? What do you guys do with your extension cable?
Old 12-03-2004, 09:44 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Aileron Servo Extension Cord placement

99.9% of the time it shouldnt be a problem bc there is slack in that extension. However that 0.1% of the time can get you. Where is the receiver? Depending on its location you can run the extension in front of and then going under the servo tray. The chances of a servo pulling that extension just right to disconnect are slim to none but if you run the extension in front (might have to buy a bit longer extension) it should be a non-issue. Also, with a PT 40 you can fly it with just rudder and elevator too so a disconnected aleron would not mean automatic crash. My concern would be more that the extension jams in the servo arm in mid flight and keeps your elevator.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:39 AM
Stew99

Usually, when I put the wing on, I just poke the extra wire down between the foam padding and the fuselage to keep it from flopping around the servos. I also tape the aileron servo wire to the wing as far forward I can to help keep everything away from the other servos and pushrods. This assumes a standard configuration with the battery and receiver in the front part of the rado compartment, the T, R and E servos in the rear and one aileron servo in the center of the wing. It gets a lot trickier when you have multiple servos in the wing and you start moving the radio equipment farther back to adjust the CG.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:17 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As you can see, I don't care
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90870.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	198875  
Old 12-03-2004, 11:33 AM
brsseb

First:

1. Damn I love this forum! No matter too small to ask about.

2. I guess it will be ok to let it wanter all over the tray. The chance for it somehow betting wrapped around one servo arm and jamming another at hte same time is slim. Guess the chance of me parking the plane strait in the ground is more of a worry... As a rule when mounting the wing ill try to jam the cable in teh open space front between the tray and the fueltank and see how it goes.

3. OMH!! In the spirit of christmas, my LHS have 20% off ALL the products in stock untill 13th desember. Got to pick my winter/spring-built plane quickly. Oh, the humanity...
Old 12-03-2004, 12:16 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has worked well for me. Roll a piece of newspaper into a tube large enough for the connector to go through. Tape the tube. Put the extensions through the tube. The tube keeps the cable from flopping into the servos but will be flexible at the cable entrance.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:02 PM
rcjon

A tip I read here somewhere that you might consider (as soon as I did one plane, I had to do them all.) is to build a mount for the end of the extension that comes from receiver - 6" extension with one end in the receiver and the other end epoxied into a small wood block that is in turn epoxied to the inside of the fuse somewhere. Allows you to hook up the airelon servo with one hand while holding onto the wing with the other. Really great when its windy.