Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Putting five inch stripes on lower wings.

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Putting five inch stripes on lower wings.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 09:10 PM
Handyandy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting five inch stripes on lower wings.

Hi
I have an Ultra sport forty that I'm covering, and I would like to put red and white five inch stripes on the lower wing. The question I have is, do I cover the lower wing with one color and then go back and add the other color on top. I was thinking of doing them individually, but don't know how this would work. The stripes run from the leading edge to the trailing edge. Thanks for you help.

Handyandy
Old 08-23-2002, 01:09 AM
Wyohi
My Feedback: (1)

I put on a base color & then add the striping ect on top. I have always been afraid the indivual stripes would come apart. It add a litle weight but makes it stronger.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:53 PM
gpmikemorse-RCU

I agree with Wyohi. Cover the entire wing with white, then add the red stripes on top. The alternative, would be to get a big piece of glass, cut the stripes first, and then using a 1/4" overlap, iron the stripes together, then apply the piece to the wing. This is not only a lot of work to save very little weight, but you have the risk of the seams pulling apart when you're heating the covering to strink it tight on the wing.
Old 08-23-2002, 03:03 PM
spuck5644

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stripes

I will assume that you are using UltraCote....
I agree, cover the entire wing in the base color and then come back with the stripes. Set your iron to abt 190, certainly not higher than 200 w/sock. That will activate the glue w/o causing your stripes to shrink. I have done it this way on probably 75 airplanes.
Steve
Puckett Model Aviation.
Old 08-23-2002, 04:09 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would probably do the whole base white too, but before laying the red on top, draw lines where it (the red) will go, then get your hobby knife and then start poking holes like crazy in the white. This will allow any trapped air to escape.

Something else to consider would be to make your stripes as wide as each rib bay. Then you could cover white across two cap strips leavong every other bay open, then cover the red from the center of one cap strip to the next.
Old 08-24-2002, 12:42 AM
murphy
My Feedback: (19)

Default Trim Solvent

I've used trim solvent on a number of striping schemes,,, Starbursts on my "Flea"-a Tower X-tra Special,,, and the stripes on my CG Ultimate "Tigger" ,,,, once they're on, they become part of the original base as far as I'm concerned..

Just wet the are to be covered with the solvent, and apply the trim, using a credit card or such to scrape out the air bubbles,, once flat, take a Q-tip dipped in the solvent, and go along the perimiter of the stripe,,, let sit over night, and voila!!!

John
aka "Murphy"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	22723_954.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	14137  
Old 08-24-2002, 11:08 AM
Handyandy

Default trimsolvent

Murphy
Will that trim solvent work with Ultracote?

Once again I would like to say thanks to all that replied. You just can't beat the people in this hobby.

Andy
Old 08-26-2002, 11:58 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The trim solvent, unfortunately, only works with MonoKote.
Old 08-26-2002, 02:22 PM
tmproff
My Feedback: (5)

A substitue to the trim solvent is to put about 10 drops of dishsoap into a spray bottle, fill it up with water (just enough to make it a tad slippery). I just used this technique on my skybolt (using 21st century fabric monocote) and it worked out very nicely. Just spray it on your wing, then slide the monocote on to the placement you desire, use a credit card or something similar to squeeze out all the liquid/air. I let it sit for about 10 mins before I hit it with my iron. Here's a pic of my progress:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	23072_7030.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	14138