Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

MonoKote glue change?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

MonoKote glue change?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 08:28 AM
ysrcflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MonoKote glue change?

Does anyone know if MonoKote has changed the adhesive on the MonoKote? I got a roll of dark red in August and it was what I was allways used to. I got a roll in Dec. and immediatly noticed that the backing doesnt stick anymore and it feels like 600 grit sandpaper. I always build my 2 or 3 color panels on glass before installing on the plane. I tried it with the new stuff and it would not stick to white MonoKote-pulled right apart. I got another roll and it is the same. Any one else see this? BTW the white that I bought at the same time is not like this.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:06 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: MonoKote glue change?

Over the last few years I have noticed some subtle changes that have become apparent with Monokote. I don't think the manufacturer/distributor will admit to it, though. I've noticed that the bonding agent doesn't adhere as well as it used to on any type of surface, and that the material seems to be a smidge thinner.

When others have quetioned the manufacturer about the possibility of changes in the product, they've been informed that they must be using an incorrect heat setting, or applying the product improperly. I get to laughing at that particular response, since I've been using the stuff since it first hit the market many, many years ago. The late 60's I believe.

Anyway, don't feel like you're all alone. Others have noted the same thing and have changed to other coverings for that reason.