Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Chipmunk and Sullivan Tail Wheel

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Goldberg Chipmunk and Sullivan Tail Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 09:00 AM
jbloom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Chipmunk and Sullivan Tail Wheel

I purchased a used Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk. I'm in the process of refinishing, sprucing up the airframe, etc. etc.. Now I come to the tail wheel. I've search here and can't find anything specifically about my setup. So, I'll pose the question here. It has a Sullivan tail wheel on it. It appears that with this setup, I cannot have a steerable tail wheel. I guess, based on some posts I've seen, I don't really need it to steer, but it would be my preference. I just don't see if happening since I have the fuselage between the tail wheel and the rudder. Any advise or suggestions?

Thanks! John
Old 12-11-2004, 11:56 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: Goldberg Chipmunk and Sullivan Tail Wheel

I'm not certain what a Sullivan tail wheel bracket looks like.

But you will definitely want to steer it.

I actually considered an aftermarket assembly, but opted to go stock because of the situation you now face.

There is some very fine and strong pull pull cable. Perhaps you could exit the belly near the bulkhead just froward of the tail.

But, I can't imagine it ever being an absolutely straight shot without the cable dragging on an exit eyelit.

You could cut the rudder hinges, pull off the rudder and go back to stock. That might be the easiest thing to do.[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37463.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	201680  
Old 12-11-2004, 11:14 PM
jbloom

Yea.. you might be right. I have to order some replacement parts for it anyway, like decals, canopy, and some other minor stuff. I can probaby just get a stock tailwheel. I hate to have to "engineer" something like that.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:23 PM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

hi jbloom

you definitely want the ability to steer the plane. I have used dubro tail wheel assembly on many planes with good success. be sure to buy one sturdy enough for the size plane. I use one too light on a sig cub and it was a disaster, tail wiggles wildly on take off, impossible to control direction. by the way this plane will be a very good flyer for you, have a ball.

good luck and happy flying

pt19 flyer
Old 07-20-2005, 04:30 PM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

hi again

looking at the picture you posed what I would look at is remove the rudder <not vertical fin> and run a piece of brass tubing thru the horiz stab and thru the fuselage bottom to act as a guide for the wire to the tail wheel. attach to rudder on top with a bend in the wire. here you may have to solder a coupling at this point to get a bend for the rudder.

sounds a little complicated but might be a possible solution.

good luck and happy flying

pt19 flyer