Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Paint under transparent monokote

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Paint under transparent monokote

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 08:52 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint under transparent monokote

I am wanting to use transparent monokote on my next kit for the wing bays and control surfaces. In order to do something a little different I am wanting to paint the wood underneath. Maybe yellow under transparent red for orange, yellow under trans blue for green, or blue under trans red for purple. Does this actually work? I have seen painted wings or fuselages under clear monokote but never transparent colors.

I dont want it to come out looking really dark or odd, but am hopping for a unique look. Anybody have and pics of a plne done this way.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:10 AM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Default RE: Paint under transparent monokote

Sorry, no pictures. Lotsa planes covered in transparent though. Give it a try, might be very intresting. BTW, blue and green trans. monokote are kinda dark, I would stick with yellow and red if you want to see the paint job. You could use layers of monokote too, gives a similar effect.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:55 AM
NJ Georgee
My Feedback: (3)

I just did my first Trans film on a plane,I dont think you will notice any colors under the film if it is color film.But if you use clear thats anouther story then the colors beneith will show. One idea I have is to spray the wood frame with glow in the dark paint,Then use any color film and when the frame glows it will come through any color film.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:17 PM
Gringo Flyer

I really dont like the clear transparent monokote. What about the yellow transparent, it seems light enought to allow maybe red to show through from underneath?
Old 12-14-2004, 05:26 PM
NJ Georgee

Your right about yellow,thats the color I used,but you would only differenciate an underlying color up close. from a distance it would just look like a darker color like if you use red or blue on the frame. But up close it may look like the color it is. anouther thing I tried too is to use wood stain on the dash and outher exposed wood.I build ww 1 kits and they look nice in transparent and wood stain on certain areas
Old 12-14-2004, 07:07 PM
Gringo Flyer

I was just trying to think of something a little different to catch folks attention. Transparent with a colored frame seems like a good idea if I can get it to work.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:20 AM
NJ Georgee

One thing I want to try is to make a frame look like metal aluminum mabey use clear
coverite.I read in an article this guy uses talcom powder on the frame,I guess mabey he sprays glue then dips the peice in the powder and it gives a metalic grain to the wood,then he paints them aluminum. They didnt give this procedure but how else would you use talcom powder in the prosess. Anouther thing you can do is to cut little circles in the ribs like aluminum has. then after the talcom treatment it may still be strong.