Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Email Fraud Re: Plane for sale

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Email Fraud Re: Plane for sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 04:41 PM
BDS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Email Fraud Re: Plane for sale

Folks, there are some things you just dont expect in life. Someone attempting to scam you is one of them... Another person trying to scam you using the same exact premise as the first over a year later is another one of them.

About two years ago I put an H9 Cap 232 for sale on some websites. I dont even remember where and cant locate the ads now. Anyway, about 6 months after posting it I had a potential buyer from South Africa who wanted to send me a big ol' check for more than its worth, and ship the plane, with the remaining balance in cash to him. It sounded fishy, so I stopped responding to the guy and let it go. I eventually sold the plane to a local club member who happily paid cash with real money.

Well starting some time last week I got another email about the ad from a "guy in the u.k." who wanted to buy my "gas airplane". Right from the get-go i knew what was going on. Below are the copies of that email that I've had going back in forth with this guy. I tried to string him along as long as possible. Part of it is fun I guess. But part of me is sad, knowing that no matter what, there is no way to nail these kind of people.

Take a look. Have a laugh, and take warning. Some of the information in the emails is quite inaccurate to get a reaction out of dude. I have not heard back since the last email (the one at the top) but I'll post more as they happen.

This is the email that went back and forth. The first is at the bottom of the quote - as I copied directly out of outlook.
Steve,
Unfortunately some bad luck has struck me this afternoon. Some complications have come up with my bank and I wont be able to deposit any checks until they get worked out. This could be a few days. To save time before we both go on vacation, I think the fastest route would be to just have you wire the money directly to me via western union like you suggested. I can then ship it out as early as tomorrow or saturday. Let me know of any other options you may think of if this doesnt work for you. Tell your daughter I said hi and I hope she enjoys the plane.

Sean.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2004 2:27 PM
To: Sean Petr
Subject: RE: DEAL

Hello, well i just got you mail, like i said that i will travelling to see my kids i just logged in on my kids system and i saw ur message,yes i have a contact information of the shipper i will send there information as soon as you get the check,you send me the address where the check should be sent to so that you get it onb tiume before you go on vacation i want the plane before the vacation so make this transaction fast so that we will not delay how time, my daugther jessica is saying hello to you,she said she hope to be in the plane soon and i promise her that she will get it soon.Am located in the highfield southhampton in United kingdom, all is okay here with me and the deal is well arrange, you just get all that will be neded ready for the transaction i also will soon go for vacation so i need the plane before the vacation, provide me the address soon and you will get the check soon.
Awaiting your reply soon.
Steve.

Sean Petr <[email protected]> wrote:
Steve,
What shipper will you be using? Do you have contact information for them? I would like to arrange a pick up time and date as I will be on vacation soon. I will gladly accept a check for $1,550, and will western union you the balance, provided the check is certified and clears before the plane is shipped out. Also, any fees that western union charges will need to be paid by you.
Before I can complete this deal, I need your information as well. If you were my neighbor down the street, I would have no problem being anonymous, but I dont know you, and you are proposing a very unusual transaction. I would like to protect myself at all costs. This means I would like all the information for you, that you requested of me.

let me know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 10:10 AM
Subject: DEAL

Hello,
Thanks for all the information on the plane,like i said that the payment with be a a cashier's check so and i told you that the shipper will be coming to pick up the plane all has be arrnage here with me all i will just tell you now is that am, i will be sending you a check of $1,550 then i know that the amount of the plane is $350, but you will do me a favour by sending the remaing balance to my shipper through western union to enable him com on time to pick up the plane i will be away for a while so,maybe two to three day,you justr send me the address where the check should be sent to and i will issue out the check as soon as possible,I will love to have the address in this form.
NAME TO BE ON CHECK
ADDRESS
CITY
STATE
ZIP CODE
PHONE
I will be expecting you reply soon, i will leave to go see my kids and wife tomorow but keep sending me mail to be the transaction on .
Thanks alot,
Steve.

I attached an excel spreadsheet with the breakdown of all that was included. Total was around $400 that I have invested. Give me $350 and you have a deal. The plane is called a I.F.O. Its made from carbon rods and woven covering. It is basically a delta wing with elevons. It is docile enough to be a trainer, but can also perform basic aerobatics. I have upgraded the aerodynamics and motor on mine. The manufacturer is www.wildrc.com, you can see pictures there. Let me know soon as I have people who are interested here locally and I have put them off until I hear from you.

Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 6:40 AM
Subject: RE: Gas Airplane

Hi,
I cant just make youan offer when i dont know the cost price or the amount you want to see it, not until u tell me the price then i can make u an offer, tell me more about this plane coz i said that is very much different form the gas powered plane tell me wat it is and i can fine a nice plane locally here in uk but i would love to see the pics of this plane to know how it look likeand tell me how it works explaine better.
Thank you.

Here is a breakdown of everything that will come with it. Make me an offer.

What kind of flying are you planning on doing? This plane is entirely different from a gas powered plane. Would you be better off finding one locally?

Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 9:16 AM

Am located in uk and whats the present condition,send me more pic for me see and tell me the last offer price for it.

Thank you.

The only one I have is electric. Its an IFO. Where are you located? Where did you see the ad?

Sent: Monday, December 13, 2004 12:37 PM

WHICH ONE DO U HAVE FOR SALE NOW.

What gas airplane?

Sent: Friday, December 10, 2004 2:20 PM
Subject: Gas Airplane

Good day ,
My name is steve lewis I'm highly intersted in your Gas Airplane
Pls,what is your last price for this Preffered methodof payment is a certified check or cashier's check. I'll be expecting your mail soonest.if really you are very interested. Send pics if really
avilable.Give me the last price, Pls reply today.
Regards,
steve.