Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Installing a smoke kit in my Skybolt bipe (and other questions)

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Installing a smoke kit in my Skybolt bipe (and other questions)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 05:14 PM
depeche

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a smoke kit in my Skybolt bipe (and other questions)

Hello. I have a question regarding the addition of a smoke kit to a Skybolt (.60 - .90). Actually, I just got the kit and I have several questions... so I'll clump em here and number them. By the way, I've build several planes from kit (probably about 10), the last one being a killer size 40 chaos with a OS .49 ABS engine... man that plane screams!

1. This is my first biplane, and I'm in it for the acrobatics. I want a plane that will do pretty much anything I want it to. My first question, is the Skybolt good for this, or are the Ultimates better? Will I be disappointed with the Skybolt?

2. I'd like the smoke to come off the wing tips. What kind of special modifications or considerations should I think about prior to building the plane? Obviously something needs to go through the wing, so that will need consideration before building the wings. Any suggestions here would be helpful... as well as links to site that deal specifically with such things.

3. What's the difference between using a 2-stroke and a 4-stroke for this plane? I've only ever used 2-strokes. But I think I'd like to put a 4-stroke 1.20 in this plane. I'd like it to be a quite and powerful. And from what I've seen out on the field, the 4-strokes seem to be rather smooth sounding... almost realistic. I'm not looking for a full-blown explanation of 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke... that'd take much more than a simple post I'm sure. Rather, I'm looking for broader, more abstract explanation.

Any info/help is much appreicated! Thanks!
Old 12-16-2004, 07:02 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Installing a smoke kit in my Skybolt bipe (and other questions)

I would highly recommend that you start with a regular smoke system. I don't want to discourage you, and I think you SHOULD eventually try to make the smoke come out of the wingtips, BUT you have too many "firsts" as it is... I.E. you first bipe, your first 4-stroke (and I highly recommend the 4-stroke if you want smoke) AND your first Smoke System.

With that said, if this is the GP Skybolt, I would recommend something like a Saito 120 or a YS 110

Here are two things for you to check out. First, a video of my GP Skybolt with a YS 91 (The forerunner to the 110) with smoke, and second, a "How To" article about Smoke Systems:

http://204.96.183.34/Skybolt/Videos/...t_high_res.wmv

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=455