Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Washington D.C. Hobbyshops?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Washington D.C. Hobbyshops?

Old 12-16-2004, 06:20 PM
polish smiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washington D.C. Hobbyshops?

hey,

I'm going to D.C. this monday, and i'll have some free time. Is there a hobbyshop somewhere near the mall in d.c.? Well, 'm mean a really huge one, that's worth to see it ? does anybody know?

thx bye bye
Old 12-19-2004, 05:47 PM
polish smiley

Default RE: Washington D.C. Hobbyshops?

guys :-) somebody has to live there, pls :-)
Old 12-20-2004, 10:52 AM
waagbuck
My Feedback: (1)

There are several good hobby shops in the DC metro area, but not any that I'm aware of downtown near the mall. If you can't get to the suburbs, try the smithsonian air and space museum.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:00 PM
RedLyons

It may be too late for you to get any use out of this, but here goes.

I live about 45 miles north of DC, and while I don't know of any significant hobby shops in DC, I would highly recommend the Smithsonian Udvard-Hazy Center. It's not in DC proper, it's out near the Dulles airport, but there is a shuttle that runs back and forth between it and the Air and Space Museum on the mall for about $7 per person. It's less than a year old, and they're still getting all the displays put together. When I was there last summer, they had most of it set up, but some displays were missing, and stuff, but it was still definitely worth the trip. Their website can probably tell you more about it than I can recall, but if you've got time to waste, and can either get out there, or don't mind the shuttle fees, it's a great place to spend an afternoon.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/museum/udvarhazy/
http://www.nasm.si.edu/visit/shuttlebus.cfm
Old 12-21-2004, 02:15 PM
Montague

I live in the 'burbs between DC and Baltimore. There aren't any hobby shops in DC that I am aware of. Out in the 'burbs there are several, some better than others. The two best that I'm aware of are Doug's on the Maryland side, and a place in the Towson area (I think, never been there), that I've heard of, but don't know the name of.

There really isn't any place to fly outdoors in the district that I'm aware of. DCRC has a field way out in Germantown, MD. My home field is actually closer to the DC line than any of the others that I'm aware of, and we're about 10min from the beltway.

I work just off the mall though, and all that open space, I've often wondered how long the park police would tolerate a park flyer buzzing around out there .

Oh, there is a group that occasionally flys indoors in the National Building Museam in downtown DC. I've only heard about it, but I think it's only done on weekends, and not every weekend.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:24 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its probably to late but Dougs is about 45 miniutes outside of DC in Waldorf MD , worth the trip