Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Lateral balance

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Lateral balance

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 12:16 AM
nmtr13
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lateral balance

This may be a dumb question but whats the besy way balance a plane laterally(i think thats what its called). Its a 4*60 so should it be done upsidedown or upright? Is lateral balance a must?

John
Old 12-19-2004, 03:02 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: Lateral balance

right side up, its a good idea, lead shot and epoxy in a hole in the wingtip block, bottom side so noone can see. fill, sand smooth and patch

it just has to be close. I put a med bottle cap on the light wing and drop the shot in until it balances. take out a few for the epoxy.

2 out of the last 3 planes were so close I didn't need lead. So chances are you won't. But sometimes they just come out wierd.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:05 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had very few planes (out of 20 or 30) that were off enough to require lateral balance. I wouldn't worry about it unless it's obviously way off.
Dennis-
Old 12-19-2004, 04:37 PM
Redback

To balance a tail dragger I just place it on the ground and pick it up by the prop (making sure it's not on compression so it moves freely). The heavier wing will drop, repeat a couple of times just to be sure and if it's way out temporarily fix some weight to the lighter wing. Play around until you get the best weight then fix the weight using your method of choice.

This method might not be good enough for the purists, but it works for me.

Terry
Old 12-28-2004, 08:33 PM
codimasta
My Feedback: (89)

Have any one used a cup hold.....mark your CG on the wing...screw in a CUP HOLDER at the
CG point....Low wing inverted, high wing upright, Biplane upright. I tied a piece of Heavy String to my Garage Door opener beam...ty a loop on the string and let it hang...this checks the CG and the lateral CG all at once.[8D]

Hope this helps..

Larry
AMA 11269
Old 12-28-2004, 09:44 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I had an LT-40 that was WAY off..... cut a hole on the covering at the light wing tip.... epoxied in a couple bolts.... re-covered with ultracote.... and poof.... lateral balance.... but unless it is WAY off..... don't bother.....

just trim with the Aelieron.... imho.....
Old 12-29-2004, 01:03 AM
impactiq
My Feedback: (57)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best way to laterally balance a airplane is with the plane in the air and have some modeling clay on hand. One can get the plane close by holding the top of the rudder and spinner, but..... for in flight performance is another story. DO NOT USE THE FOLLOWING ON A TRAINER STYLE PLANE.
Stick with the above to balance a trainer.

Trim the plane for level fight upright. Once this is done, fly plane inverted. When inverted, if right wing drops, add weight (being the modeling clay) to left wing or vise-versa to balance the plane from wing panel to wing panel. Repeat trimming for upright level flight after each time weight is added/removed. Then repeat the inverted flight test to see if the plane still drops a wing.The plane should fly inverted with down elevator with out any or very little aileron correction (sometimes wind pushes a plane around) via what is used to fly the plane upright level flight. Once this has been achieved. Take off the modeling clay.... weight it...., add the amount of weight to the light side of the wing as described by "kingwoodbarney" mentioned.