Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Hobbico Superstar

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hobbico Superstar

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 05:22 PM
Davetheflyinman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbico Superstar

Hey I bought a Hobbico Superstar and have been flying it for about 3 mounths and kind of getting tired of it is there any way that i can make it go a little faster and be more aerobatic thanks for the comments
Old 01-02-2005, 06:48 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hobbico Superstar

Not really... You could get a 4 Star 40 ARF and put the engine and radio from your SuperStar into it...
Old 01-03-2005, 01:53 AM
Sunny_B

Pretty involved to modify a trainer. Keep it for your first seaplane or to teach someone else what you have learned. Take a look at the Hobbico Avistar. Very acrobatic and still a good ARF plane to learn progressively more challenging acrobatics with.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:31 PM
rsrogers
My Feedback: (10)

Order the wing for the Avistar!!!! It will fit on your present trainer but will make it a little more fun. I had the same trainer & thats what I did. Dosent up it much but anything's a change when your broke!!
Old 01-06-2005, 07:07 AM
twostroker
My Feedback: (37)

The wing of the Avistar is not a flat bottom airfoil. You would have to modify the wing saddle on the Superstar to fit it.

I would really think about removing the radoi gear from the Superstar for something different. The planes mentioned above, including the Avistar, are more aerobatic and good choices.

I learned to fly with the Superstar, got bored with it, modified it, and wrecked it. Only to wish I had it back for a float plane trainer or just a lazy Sunday flier.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78625.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	211298  
Old 01-17-2005, 06:36 PM
jrpnde

The other guys are pretty much on with their advice. Not a lot you can do to make remarkable performance improvements. If the 3 months you've been flying is your only experience and you're already bored, you must be a fast learner. Well experienced pilots can do some amazing flying with a lazy trainer. I assume you already made some non-structural changes like moving the CG back or increasing the control throws. If not, do that in small increments and best to get help from someone who knows what to expect with those type of changes.
The Superstar probably came with an OS 40 engine. You could bolt on a 46 for more zing and you will probably want at least a 46 for your next plane. The engine and radio stuff can easily be used in your 2nd. plane.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:55 PM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

I recently got my Trainer going again after not flying it for about 3 years. I have been flying my other planes but still love a good trainer.

I placed a Saito 72 on mine and this thing is a blast, but throttle control is very important and must be used. I think I will turn it into a tail dragger due to have a 13x6 prop and would love to try a 14x4, but I am already on the ground with 3.5" wheel already. I think trainers are some of the best fun you can have. They land so easily and are very predictable. Place a monster up front (engine) and secure the wing and motor mount and you will have a whole new experience.
Imagine coming in for a landing and all of a sudden go vertical without stopping with a trainer. That is a true crowd pleaser.

DTB