Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Getting a trainer, when you actually dont "need" it.

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Getting a trainer, when you actually dont "need" it.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 06:51 AM
Test005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a trainer, when you actually dont "need" it.

I know how to fly already and have a few planes in my fleet, but no real 40-size "trainer".
5 years ago I assembled and learned to fly on a PT-40 by Great Planes and I thought it would be cool to have a trainer in my fleet again
(I took a break in RC flying and sold the PT-40, therefor it's gone)

Currently I'm building a 4*60 kit but I have already started to plan what's next....Don't we all?
A scale warbird is high on the list, but it's expencive and I feel I might be better off practicing building techniques on another plane before I get a warbird so I was thinking LT-40 together with an OS .52-fs.

This would be an easy build and a good combo to fly on lazy days and/or teaching my friends to fly and get them introduced to my hobby.
Does anyone have any feedback on taking "a step back" and getting a new trainer years after initially earning their wings?
...Is it a waste of time and money (boring) or will I appreaciate to have an easy to fly, back-up, always-coming-to-the-field-bird?
Old 01-10-2005, 09:07 AM
Johnny C!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Getting a trainer, when you actually dont "need" it.

This hobby is about having fun! Fast or slow, large or small, by yourself or with a group.

I have regressed back to some slower planes, as well. They are the ones you can relax with.

Good Luck!
Old 01-10-2005, 10:07 AM
mulligan

And the newer ARF trainers are sooo simple. For example, we get a lot of newbies with the Alpha 40s and 60s- engine and radio already installed and set up.

If you're looking to just put in some more comfortable hours before moving to a more complex plane, I would suggest a low-wing, tail dragger-type trainer. The 4-star is actually a good, relaxing plane to bore holes in the sky with. An LT-40 will give you relaxing hours of flying but won't really help you develop much for your next adventure, except possibly practicing rudder control.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:11 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

You will appreciate it. I use my LT-40 quite a bit to train newbies. IMO, it is the best of the many trainers I've flown when all parameters are considered. The 52 Surpass would be perfect. Mine had a 48 Surpass that finally just wore out. It has an even older 40SF on it now; that engine just refuses to die.

Yes, flying a trainer seems tame after some of the nice aerobatic models I've had. But on a dead-calm afternoon, shooting endless touch-and-goes, trying to see how smoothly I can touch down, is very enjoyable and relaxing to me. And if you want to hone your basic stick-and-rudder skills, take that puppy out on a very windy day. The flat bottom wing and relatively poor penetration all true trainers have makes for some interesting times in high wind...
Old 01-10-2005, 10:39 AM
Test005

Thanks guys.
I have already a low wing taildragger, and when my 4*60 is done I'll have another one so this is not about flight training.
I'm more looking for a lazy-plane to zoom around with that can work as a trainer for friends and a cruiser for me.

I see it this way;
A banged up Nexstar with a noisy .46 twostroke = Noob trainer
A LT-40 with a smooth OS52-fs = A gentleman cruiser

What about the Senior Kadett ARF, Can a 52-fs handle it? ...It sure looks good with that transparent covering.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:38 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Me too! Last year, I noticed that none of my models was suitable to use as a trainer to use to introduce RC to friends, etc. So, I bought the incredibly low cost World Models Mach I trainer, put an older OS 40LA on it and went flying. I was completely amazed at what a good flying plane this is, even with the modest power of that engine. Now, I have flown some buddy box time on it, but most of the time I am flying it for fun. I would recommend it to someone who has some ARF construction experience, as the instructions with this kit are minimal, not recommended for a beginner unless there is experienced help available for assembly.

Sure, go for it. It's a good idea.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:54 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For what it's worth, One of my all-time favorite planes to just go out and enjoy flying with is a clipped wing Goldberg Anniversary Cub.

You don't have to always be "on the sticks", you can throttle back and just fly lazy circles, it floats like a cloud, and if you want to, you can crank it up and do some simple aerobatics.

Try it, you'll like it!
Old 01-10-2005, 12:32 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Move the CG back and crank up the throws, and the LT-40 is quite entertaining to fly. Use larger diameter, lower pitched props with it. I agree, that it is the best all around trainer yet designed, though I dislike light ply. All the weight yet the strength of wet cardboard.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:52 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Currently I'm building a 4*60 kit but I have already started to plan what's next....Don't we all?
A scale warbird is high on the list, but it's expencive and I feel I might be better off practicing building techniques on another plane before I get a warbird so I was thinking LT-40 together with an OS .52-fs.
Test005,

Nothing against the LT-40, for flying or for building. However, I think that your wish to practice building techniques, at this point, would be better served by a more challenging plane. A slab-side trainer won't provide much building practice, while a stick built bird like your 4-star will. The next step would be a small warbird, perhaps a Top Flite item or the Great Planes Mustang (I understand it uses the Ultra Sport wing.)

Of course, if you want an LT-40 in your hanger, this is probably the time to do it. I have several warbirds, and am in the process of finishing up a basket case Trainer 40 I bought from an estate - it will be used for instruction. Hey, it's winter here, time to build whatever we want!

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 01-10-2005, 01:32 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Some days, you just need to fly a trainer. I have a couple in the fleet. Once in a while, its just a lot of fun doing multiple touch and goes or just flying slow. Others, going fast rocks. Thats why we have many planes. Its all fun!
Old 01-10-2005, 02:50 PM
bent

Long live the trainer! My 4 year old Superstar 40 gets the dust blown off it once in a while...for all the reasons already stated. I really enjoy getting in the circuit with 4 other high wings. Low stress and maximum fun!
Old 01-10-2005, 04:28 PM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Im not positive but i have a LT40 and i do belive it is more fun then my warbirds and aerobats.If you can keep the nose pointed up tailslides are soooooo cool and landing in a 10mph headwind over and over just keeps me smiling tank after tank of fuel. I think some of the fun comes from knowing im not afraid to crash it as another one is about $120 and 3 hours away from flying again.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:45 AM
Balsa Steel

Everybody on this thread has made a good point/reason to have a trainer. I have 3d, pattern, glider, and control line planes but one of my favorites is my 15 year old beater Eagle II with a S/T GS 40. It trains newbies, drops parachutes, takes aerial video, tailslides, "hovers" in strong winds, radio & engine test bed, the list goes on with what you can do with trainers. They're so stable and predictable, you can do some neat low level "trash" with them. One of my favorites is to do high G circles with the wingtip about 2 feet off the ground. It's also fun take it up high, then kill the motor and see if you can land and stop it and reach down and turn off the switch without taking more than 1 step! It's easier than it sounds after a little practice, also VERY addictve! Yep, LOTS of reasons to have a trainer if you ask me...
Old 01-12-2005, 02:29 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been flying and training for a long time and alway's have a trainer in my hangar. I use it for introducing friend and newbies to the hobby and for those day's when I don't feel like flying my $2000.00 P-51.
I've had many trainers, 40 and 60 size and I overpower them and max out the control surface travel. I sometimes add a second aileron servo right beside the existing one for flaperons.
A trainer is a cheap and low stress way to have allot of fun, practice cross control landings, low inverted flight and anything else you want to do without risking a high dollar plane and engine.
Don't be in such a hurry to get rid of your trainer.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:24 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

My trainer is a T28

It really flys just like a trainer

Actually, I have an Ercoupe that flys just like a trainer .

It doesn't have to be a trainer to be relaxing.

Build something with a round fuselage, you will never go back.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:42 AM
Test005

Good answers, and I actually think I'll go for a trainer type plane next.
I think flying a trainer would be enjoyable because it's so easy, it's predictable and there are less strings attached than you would have with a scale warbird that you have invested 400 hours and lot's of $ in.

If my current build goes well and leaves me wanting to build more I'll go for the LT-40 kit, but I'll also look into those cheap ARF's out there like the Seagull Arising Star, it's an ARF that's much cheaper than the LT40 kit.

Well let's see, it'll be a .52-fs for sure because I want one of those )
Old 01-12-2005, 07:24 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

<<...this is not about flight training.>>

My reference to flight training was not to say you could use it for that, Test005. It was simply to explain why I have mine out quite a bit, instead of the several nice aerobatic planes I also own.

Since it IS with me at the field at times, I enjoy flying it just for me, too. I was reinforcing your point; you don't have to have the latest CAP, Edge, etc. to enjoy flying.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:26 AM
Siefring

You might consider something bigger and possibly more flexible, that can do double duty as a trainer. I was planning to replace my trainer (as soon as it is worn out or broken or I finish the other 5 projects I'm working on) with a Kadet Senior, Senior Telemaster or Flyin' King.

With a good sized four-stroke, these planes are big enough to carry a "payload" (for me I'm intrested in doing some video), are very relaxing to fly, and can double as a trainer.

Carl
Old 01-12-2005, 08:52 PM
Spanky1

Balsa Steel brings up a great point about the wind.
After drilling my Stick 40 the only thing left was the wing. The wing was built with no dihedral and sits atop a Duroplane. UGLY....yep. But truly the most rock solid plane in 30+mph winds.

If you build a trainer I would recommend taking out the dihedral and heading out when there are hurricanes predicted. It is real interesting to throttle back trim it out and watch closely at the airplane movements caused soley by the wind gusts.

Geez, is this an addiction?
Spanky
Old 01-12-2005, 08:55 PM
Live Wire

I keep my Lt 40 with me all the time , Its relaxing it is not expensive, and I alway's have some one that would like to find out what it is like to fly. I keep the buddy box with it always, and it loves to fly in the wind!! Beats letting some one fly one of the other bird.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:40 PM
Balsa Steel

Duraplane... That reminds me of another reason to keep a beater/trainer plane. I remember several years ago a day when the winds were 30+ at a field I used to fly at and I had just landed my Duraplane. One of the "elite(ist)" pilots felt the need to come over and inform me that my plane was the ugliest plane he'd ever seen. I agreed with him, but politely reminded him that while I was flying my plane, his was hiding in his trunk. I had fun with my plane that day, he had NO fun with his. [&o]
Old 03-07-2005, 04:33 PM
Test005

I've been thinkin about this "getting a trainer" for some time now and I really like the idea.
I'm gonna go ahead and order the LT-40 kit and build it, power will be OS .52fs [X(]
Old 03-07-2005, 07:28 PM
britbrat

I wouldn't be without my old Hobbico Superstars (2) -- they have been hot rodded for extra fun, but they are very relaxing machines to fly. It is terrific fun making trainers do things that they weren't intended to do. I will always keep one or two in my fleet.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:40 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An OS 52-- that's what I have on my Midwest Aerobat and I have a ball with it. It's really a modified Aero Star that can still fly like a trainer or you can let your hair down and go all out. I have 2 of them, 1 is a tail dragger the other a trike, they can be built either way. Check them out at www.falcon-trading.com. Just my opinion but I don't think they can be beat for what you are looking for.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:19 PM
Azzir325

O man! Did somebody say "DuraPlane"??? When I was just learning to fly, and destroyed (I mean made mincemeat out of) my kit built PT 40, I wanted a cheap, quick build to put the radio and motor into and found the Duraplane 40 trainer. I flew the crap out of that plane- into trees, the ground, cartwheels. I have bent the wing and it still flies. I can't tell you how many times I have landed it upside down. But finally, finally, I pretty much figured out how to get it up and down without crashing, and have moved on to many other planes. My Avistar is a favorite. Same price as a Superstar but with a semisymetrical wing she handles inverted as nicely as straight and level. But to get back to the Dura, I finally retired it mainly because the nosewheel pushrod was a mess, and because I felt able to fly woodies without converting them to splinters, but someday I intend to resurrect it as a taildragger, and then let my kids and friends have as much fun trying to destroy it as I did!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.