Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Discovery Wings Channel GONE!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Discovery Wings Channel GONE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 05:24 PM
East RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery Wings Channel GONE!!!

I don't know why...but Discovery has officially made the transition from Discovery Wings Channel to the Military Channel. Does anyone know why they did this. I can't see ever watching this channel. The only stations I watched to begin with were Discovery Wings, DIY (R/C Hobbies show), The Outdoor Channel (Inside R/C show) and occasionally the local news. I'm not sure if R/C hobbies and Inside R/C are enough for me to justify paying for cable TV.

I am deeply bothered and sad to see this great channel go. How do others feel?
Old 01-11-2005, 06:22 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Default RE: Discovery Wings Channel GONE!!!

I think they ran out of stuff to show. The last couple of months have been constant repeats.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Jimmbbo

ORIGINAL: MrMulligan

I think they ran out of stuff to show. The last couple of months have been constant repeats.
Yep... plus a larger audience if you add all military subjects...
Old 01-11-2005, 06:40 PM
Hircflyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure that it will still include a lot of aviation shows........They are just trying to broaden their audience.

I noticed I can't find the RC show on DIY anymore either.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:10 PM
TTARK

The RC show is still on DIY, I have it set up for season pass in my TIVO got two shows this past week

Terry
Old 01-11-2005, 08:47 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hell, they could rerun everything they've done starting with the Wright Bros. and I'd be long dead before they ever got back to the "good" stuff again.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:41 PM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

The "good"stuff was back when they showed the Wings TV show on the Discovery Channel. Those shows were great. They'd take a particular aircraft and review the design, development, mission requirements and other factors in the plane's design. THen follow the operational development of the subject. THose were the days. THe P-51 episode was a keeper.

I have no idea why those shows were not being aired yet some stupid time filler about this or that which just showed happysnips of film of various aircraft. Often the narration got the facts entirely wrong, I particularly remember a show about combat heli's where they weren't even getting the names of the pictured craft correct.

Somehow, they had time to show that, but not the original Wings episodes. I don't get it. No great loss on the channel as it ended up.

Often, the best thing on was the commercial featuring the Northern Lights flying team.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:55 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Johng--You got that right, that's the stuff I was talking about. I'd pay for 132 channels just to get that one. Those were the "good ole days" I can still hear the intro music as the show came on
Old 01-11-2005, 10:17 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toward the end, it seemed the show time/commercial time ratio was 1:1. That turns me off faster than a speeding bullet.

Too bad somebody doesn't bring back the old "World At War" and "Victory At Sea" series.

Now, THOSE were proper documentaries; like the original "Wings" shows. You're right, Johng. We'll likely never see that sort of quality, ever again.

At least not from new shows. And as for that R/C show, how can you guys stand to watch Chris Dorkanelli?????????

That turd gives all of us modelers a bad name.... My non-modeling uncle caught an episode while surfing, and watched it because he knew I was into r/c. He called me later, asking "Who WAS that idiot???"[&o]