Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

2 covering Q's

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 07:47 AM
Test005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 covering Q's

Two covering questions.

1. When covering a flat 4* wingtip, can I use a bigger piece of covering material, tack it to the flat side of the wing tip profile and then cut slits in it and fold it over?

2. If I want a wide stripe on the top side of the wing tip (full chord, three bays wide), shall I make it directly on the wing and then make a small overlap with the base color, or should I cover the complete wing in the base color and then heat on the stripe ontop of the base covering?
Old 01-13-2005, 08:04 AM
woodbutcher

Default RE: 2 covering Q's

1. Tack the flat piece on the end. Heat and stretch covering over the edges, then trim. You don't need to cut slits.

2. I use Monokote and join the sections together on glass first then put the whole piece on the wing. You could do it either of the ways you've asked about but both could present some difficulties.

Covering the whole wing and adding the bands would be my other choice. The difficulty is how the covering will lay down going over the bays. May have to do those in sections.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:29 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally, I would cover the tip first stretching it as woodbutcher said, but you only need to stretch it just past the halfway point of the corner. Then I would cover the bottom, and lastly, the top - Also streatching it over the seam on the tip.

As far as the stripe goes, a lot depends on the color. If the color is lighter than the base, apply the strip first, if it's darker, apply it last.

In either case, since it's 3 bays wide, overlap it on the rib and by 1/4" (if it's Monokote) or 3/8" (if it's Ultracote)
Old 01-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Test005

Thanks guys, I really appreaciate your expertise and quick answers!
Since I have only one friend interested in RC-flying (and he's a beginner) I need all the help this forum can provide.

The covering will be maroon-red and white.
I'll cover the side of the wing profile white and the top of the wing from the tip and three bays towards the center
Rest of the wing and the fuse maroon-red with some white trimming on the tail.

I think it'll look sweet
Old 01-13-2005, 12:48 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would strongly suggest reversing those colors. White wingtips tend to make the plane look smaller.

Dark wingtips stand out much better
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11015.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	214602  
Old 01-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Test005

You're da man MinnFlyer, Dark wingtips it is! ...Unbelivable...