Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

could you tell me what this means?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

could you tell me what this means?

Old 01-26-2005, 03:45 PM
NJ Georgee
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default could you tell me what this means?

What does positive shift or Negative shift means,when it comes to servo's ?
Also how do I know which to buy that would work with a hytec flash 5 radio?
Thanks for your help[:@]
Old 01-26-2005, 03:58 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: could you tell me what this means?

ORIGINAL: NJ Georgee

What does positive shift or Negative shift means,when it comes to servo's ?
Also how do I know which to buy that would work with a hytec flash 5 radio?
Thanks for your help[:@]
It doesn't apply to servos.
It refers to which way the transmitter shifts the outgoing signal.
Any servo that can plug into your (anything) receiver should work.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:50 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Right. You can use Hitec, Futaba, JR, Airtronics, FMA.... Pretyy much any servo will work.

If you use Futaba, there's a little tab on the side of the connector that has to be sliced off. Easy to do with a a razor knife.

Be careful of the Airtronics though. I believe the older ones had the wiring laid out differently.
Dennis-
Old 01-26-2005, 05:34 PM
NJ Georgee

oh,ok Just thought I saw an add for servos and it wanted you to order either positive or negative shift,mabey I got it wrong.you say its not servos that come that way?
Old 01-26-2005, 07:55 PM
mulligan

ORIGINAL: NJ Georgee

oh,ok Just thought I saw an add for servos and it wanted you to order either positive or negative shift,mabey I got it wrong.you say its not servos that come that way?
If you're ordering a receiver, than this applies (but not to the servos). The receiver shift has to match your TX.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:56 PM
NJ Georgee

I understand what you mean George,Does the transmitter have the imfo on it. I may have to take it out of the plane or mabey my manuel would tell me this?
Old 01-27-2005, 04:14 PM
DBCherry

Hitec transmitters are Negative shift as are their matching receivers. So are Futabas. JR and Airtronics are Positive shift.

Hope that helps.
Dennis-
Old 01-27-2005, 09:03 PM
bbbair

George; your manual MIGHT tell you if it is positive or negitive shift... but the question is why would they?

They have just sold you a complete system that works together - how; is not important to you.

IF!! you buy a computer radio that you can ADAPT to other systems, then then have to tell you what their shift mode is and how to adapt the transmitter to your "other" receiver(s.)

To understand the difference is really simple... just pull back on the elevator stick your system makes the plane go up, the 'other' system will make it go down... you need to make your transmitter speak to the receiver in a manner that it understands.

Usually it's just a switch - but you have to find it, turn it and understand it.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:14 AM
rb4123

[link=http://rchelibase.com/radiofaq/#What_transmitters_and_receivers_work_tog]This link[/link] should give you a little more info. If you look, not scroll, halfway down the page, it talks about the differences slightly. For even more info on how the entire radio system works, check [link=http://www.velarc.com/radios.htm]this[/link] place out. Some good info.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:57 AM
NJ Georgee

Thanks for your help now I know what it means,The reason I wanted to know is I may buy anouther receiver and servos for my radio.The flash five is capable of changing the shift so it realy dont matter which I buy -- + Thanks for your help,I guess we can end it here.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:05 AM
mulligan

ORIGINAL: bbbair

To understand the difference is really simple... just pull back on the elevator stick your system makes the plane go up, the 'other' system will make it go down... you need to make your transmitter speak to the receiver in a manner that it understands.

Usually it's just a switch - but you have to find it, turn it and understand it.
Huh? Positive/Negative shifts are not compatible at all. If you have a positive shift TX and a negative shift RX, your plane will not do anything at all. Seems you're talking about servo reversing???
Old 01-28-2005, 10:26 PM
electricfan
My Feedback: (1)

ive always wondered.. couldn't there be a frequency board for positive shift and one for negative shift since they arent compatible with each other? then there would be less people waiting for their channel to clear
Old 01-28-2005, 10:32 PM
rb4123

Electrifan, all you're saying is that you want more channels. Having a difference between positive and negative shift channels really has no impact towards channel usage. I'ts still not possible to use two radios with matching shift patterns on the same channel. Regardless, only one radio can be used safely on any one channel at a given time.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:41 PM
electricfan
My Feedback: (1)

no im saying if one person was flying on channel 21 positive and the other on 21 negative would they affect each other?
Old 01-29-2005, 02:39 AM
rb4123

Yes, even though the shift is different, they still broadcast on the same base frequency. It would still cause the radio to lock up. Thats why only one person can use a channel at a time. If it didn't have an effect, then people would be flying like that now.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:20 AM
DBCherry

o understand the difference is really simple... just pull back on the elevator stick your system makes the plane go up, the 'other' system will make it go down... you need to make your transmitter speak to the receiver in a manner that it understands.
This is a patently FALSE statement. If it were true you could use either shift and simply reverse the servo throws. I really wish people that don't have a decent understanding wouldn't answer questions.

Electrifan,
rb is right, even though you can't control a "negative" shift receiver with a "positive" shift transmitter, the two will INTERFERE with each other.
Dennis-
Old 01-29-2005, 12:21 PM
rb4123

Electrifan, check this link out. It'll gove you a good rundown of whats going on. [link=http://www.velarc.com/radios.htm]Click Here[/link]