Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Saito 100 in Miss America

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Saito 100 in Miss America

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 08:11 AM
morankj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 100 in Miss America

I have a Miss America P-51 with a inverted Saito 100. It's the standard set up that everyone has but for some reason I can not get my engine to run. I have checked the tank and it is air-tight. I have 3 lines total from the tank (the carb line, the exhaust tap line and the fuel dot line. When I crank the enige I can see the fuel going to the carb inlet but for some reason it doesnt get past that point. It will crank all day but no starting. If I plug the end of the muffler and turn the prop a few times I can smell and hear the fuel going into the carb. Then when I crank it, it will start but only for about 2 seconds then it dies. If I take the carb line off and exhaust line off the muffler nipple and blow gently into it the fuel comes out of the carb line. So there is no obstruction. I tested the tank in the sink and there are no leaks. I do not want to put on any type of fuel pump since I know there are plenty of people who have the same set up as I do. Does anyone have any ideas?????? Thanks
Old 05-18-2006, 08:24 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Saito 100 in Miss America

If it starts and stays running with the plane upside down (so the head and plug are up), I would say you need a hotter plug, or possibly on board glow.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:34 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

What plug are you running? OS F here, no problems, I don't even have to plug the exhaust, just open the carb, flip it 8 times, close it and smack the prop with a chicken stick and its running.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:55 AM
morankj

Right now I am using the plug that came with the Saito engine. I have not tried turning the plane upside down, I can try that. But there are so many people with this plane set up the way I have it that I would think that they would all be having this problem. I dont understand it. It is very frustrating. Thanks for the responses.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:20 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Your low end could just be set too rich, mine was WAY rich on the low end, I have the Keleo headers, everything including the poor guy holding the plane was covered in oil.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:33 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a few Q's:

1 Is the engine new?
2 What Prop?
3 Are you SURE the fuel is good?
Old 05-18-2006, 09:34 AM
morankj

My problem is the opposite. I am NOT getting fuel past the carb inlet (altho it is clear, I blew thru the tube with little effort). The low end is set where the factor had it set. Just below the surface of the throttle body. I cant get it to start even with my throttle wide open.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:41 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Saitos all required at least 2 full turns in on the low end. They are set VERRRRRRY rich from the factory.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:28 PM
morankj

Yes the engine is new
I am using a 14 x 8 APC
The fuel is brand new also, 20% nitro
Old 05-18-2006, 06:50 PM
campbec

Hi,

A few questions. Has this problem just developed? How did the motor run as you broke it in? Did the problem only arise in this new installation when you inverted the motor?

Cheers,

Colin
Old 05-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Mike Baldwin

You said you are using three lines, one to the carb, one to muffler, and the other to fill. Are you plugging the fill line after you fill up. If not you cant get the tank to hold presure. If the tank is lower then the carb this could be your problem.