Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Curved spars

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 10:05 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Curved spars

I am about to begin construction on an airplane designed back in the 1960's with some unusual elements.

One of the situations I see coming up is that the A/C has two 36" long curved spars of 3/32" balsa. One begins about max camber and curves towards the front on a 100 inch radaii. The other is at about 60% and curves very gently towards the trailing edge. Not too much of the wing is planked, it is mostly covered with silk.

Have never built an item of the construction like this whole model and I have had problems with warps before, but I think the curved spars will emphasize it. I think once the wing begins to warp after a few months the ailerons will jamb up.

Has anyone experience in building something similar?

Wm.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:18 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Curved spars

If you soak the spars in an ammonia solution I use Windex or 409), the wood gets very flexible, and can be bent into all kinds of shapes, which it retains when the wood dries out.
The potential for warpage is low.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:05 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Curved spars

Although these are apparently quite thin for spars you could try laminating them with thin material and wood glue. Pin in place and be sure to let them dry overnight. If the curve is very sharp soak the wood first.