Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Prop won't tighten

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Prop won't tighten

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 02:33 AM
sc1449

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop won't tighten

I Have a Saito 82 and I am using a Great Planes Aluminum Spinner and back plate. The engine is new, less than 30 min. of flight. I am changing props but I can not get the prop to tighten. After close examination it seems that the drive flange on the engine and the spinners back plate are somewhat deformed. They do not mesh together. It looks like I have tightend the previous prop with out mateing the two propperly. Do you know of a fix for this without buying new parts?
Old 01-30-2005, 03:24 AM
The Ghost

Default RE: Prop won't tighten

If the spinner backplate is bent it will have to be replaced. When fitting spinners always check the backplate is drilled to fit the crank.

Cheers.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:30 AM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Are the prop hubs the same thickness? You may just be running out of threads, and need another washer under the propnut.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:47 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read perhaps more than you are saying, into this post, so I'm going to ask a couple questions.

1. Is the prop coming off, when your engine reaches top speed? If so... you probably have the mixture too lean. Try opening the main mixture screw. If the prop comes off at low speed, as you increase throttle, try opening the low end mixture screw.
2. Is the spinner backplate out of plane with the prop hub, or are you saying it is not concentric with the prop shaft? Unless it is bent, I can't feature how it would become out of plane. However, if it is not concentric with the shaft, you may have omitted the centering shim, a little ring that comes in the package.

At least, that's my reaction to what you wrote. More information would help, and pictures are a definite benefit!

Best wishes,
Dave Olson

ORIGINAL: sc1449

I Have a Saito 82 and I am using a Great Planes Aluminum Spinner and back plate. The engine is new, less than 30 min. of flight. I am changing props but I can not get the prop to tighten. After close examination it seems that the drive flange on the engine and the spinners back plate are somewhat deformed. They do not mesh together. It looks like I have tightend the previous prop with out mateing the two propperly. Do you know of a fix for this without buying new parts?
Old 01-30-2005, 11:18 AM
Stick Jammer

After close examination it seems that the drive flange on the engine and the spinners back plate are somewhat deformed. They do not mesh together. It looks like I have tightend the previous prop with out mateing the two propperly.
Not sure what you mean by deformed. The drive hub on the engine is aluminum and so is the back plate. Being the same metal it's difficult for one to deform the other to the point of needing new parts. The initial tightening usually leaves a somewhat "new" pattern on the rear of the backplate where the drive hub has dug in slightly. Mating them for the first time usually isn't necessary. After that you can "feel" when the two are meshed so to speak. Is the problem that the drive hub is just not "biting" into the backplate when you try to tighten the prop?
Old 01-30-2005, 12:06 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I have had this problem with APC props before. If I understand what you are saying. When you try to tighten the prop nut the prop slips on the back plate and wont stay in place. I mentioned APC props because they are rarely flat on the back. I always sand them flat before balancing and this cures that problem.
I don't follow what is dammaged from your description.

David
Old 01-30-2005, 12:46 PM
bentgear

sc1449, let me add to the above, are you using a double lock nut? Did the backplate spin on the shaft causing the damage?

Ed M.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:02 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

To solve your slipping problem cut small "donuts" from sandpaper, something like 180 grit, and place these between the surfaces that are slipping. You might need 2 donuts, placed back-to-back, on each surface that is slipping. Usually there is slipping between the thrust washer and the backplate. Try there first.

This has solved numerous similar problems for me. Sounds too simple but it really works.